Thread: Master Cylinder

Master Cylinder

I'm George and I'm rebuilding a 1946 Cj2a from the frame up. Right now a brake system question. I have 11" drum brakes. Do I need a dual master cylinder? Thanks to anyone who can weigh in.

'Mornin' George;

I'm not an expert, or any kind of spurt, on the little Jeeps, but as I looked at what comes in the 11" upgrade kits, they include larger wheel cylinders for the fronts, but none of them I saw changed the original master cylinder to a dual master cylinder. A one-holer seems good-to-go.

But - others may have different opinions...

A duel master is safer as it splits the system to two separate systems, thus having a backup in case of a failure. as long as your single has enough volume of fluid in the piston you should be ok.

New member: will the duel Master Cylinder fit with the other item for disk brake conversion at the same location on CJ2?

beware those one holes. thats all you got. they did work for decades though. the dual ones are large though so the fitment question is a good one. I'd wonder about the final solution: is your final solution a resto mod for driving! or historical accuracy.?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Simpson View Post
    New member: will the duel Master Cylinder fit with the other item for disk brake conversion at the same location on CJ2?
    Rick, I am not sure of your question but, I think this may help. When converting to the dual master cylinder use the kit. https://www.kaiserwillys.com/dual-re...its-41-71-jeep Included are the brackets and parts needed to make the dual master cylinder bolt into the original location.