Thread: Potential Registration Issue with Willys MB Identification.

Potential Registration Issue with Willys MB Identification.

Hello, My father has had this Willys MB since the mid 1970's, he has just handed me the keys and I need to register it in my state. Here is my potential issue, the current registration has the following numbers: MB133487, the identification plate mounted on the dash is 130835, and the numbers stamped on the body gusset are 3286, my problem is, is I cannot locate the MB133487 anywhere on the jeep. When the DMV inspects the MB there is no VIN, or anything that ties the current registration to the actual vehicle.

I'm guessing that the "MB133487" was the number that was once on the frame tag which is no longer on the vehicle. Is there anywhere else I might find the MB133487 on the jeep? If not, do you have any suggestions as to what to do?

Also, I'm aware that the ID plate is in the wrong location and FYI the original Willys stamped windshield frame was replaced due to rust many years ago.

In addition, I'm not sure that the ID tag that is on the vehicle is original, is it possible these three numbers coincide with this MB?
    Last edited by Gary Doty; 08-13-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Additional information.

MB133487 was almost certainly the frame tag number. The only place that number was attached to the vehicle was on the frame tag. Whatever the other numbers are, they don't matter now.

There is no easy solution; probably you and your father are going to just have to go to the DMV and execute a bunch of documents that attest to everything from the fact that you are over 21 years old to the fact that you've owned this MB forever.

Your DMV, like Indiana's, will probably have you make a plate with a new ID number and stick it on the MB somewhere.

Dern bureaucrats ...