Thread: steering column switch?

steering column switch?

Wondering if anybody recognizes this switch. 3 spring loaded buttons. Wires cut off forward of the firewall.
    Could this be a sort of turn signal switch? I'm stumped........Thanks

steer column.jpg

Multi-weight Vehicle Weight Rating

Just a bit of trivia about the '51 truck:

A. The '48 was rated as a three-quarter-ton or one-ton depending on the size tires that were put on it. (The truck weighs 3200 pounds empty). I suspect the '51 rating was also tire dependent - or they just called it a one-ton and let it go at that.

B. The '51 has the original push-button door latches that started out in '46. We're not sure when the latches changed to the more conventional handles.

C. And no - I have never seen anything like that set of switches - but the fairly modern crimped connectors put it way later than '51. I'd doubt that they were turn signals, maybe some lights or something related to the gas station duty.

D. A favor, if you could? Can you get a good picture of your heater? One of the variations that were dealer options were heaters - and we've seen several variations in trucks and wagons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 04-29-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Just a bit of trivia about the '51 truck:

A. The '48 was rated as a three-quarter-ton or one-ton depending on the size tires that were put on it. (The truck weighs 3200 pounds empty). I suspect the '51 rating was also tire dependent - or they just called it a one-ton and let it go at that.

B. The '51 has the original push-button door latches that started out in '46. We're not sure when the latches changed to the more conventional handles.

C. And no - I have never seen anything like that set of switches - but the fairly modern crimped connectors put it way later than '51. I'd doubt that they were turn signals, maybe some lights or something related to the gas station duty.

D. A favor, if you could? Can you get a good picture of your heater? One of the variations that were dealer options were heaters - and we've seen several variations in trucks and wagons.
    Certainly......As for the switch, the truck had lights on top, perhaps a switch for those, although the spring loaded, push and hold? has me confused - maybe relays involved at one time....
    Hydraulic pump was pushrod activated, so no electrics. Image attached.

100_0143 (Large).jpg100_0144 (Large).jpg heater switch (Large).jpg 100_0136 (Large).jpg
    Last edited by Mark schoening; 04-30-2021 at 08:08 AM. Reason: add photo