Thread: Mike 54 cj3b

Mike 54 cj3b

I live in rural Illinois. And have a 1954 cj3b that i use around the farm and the occasional trip to town. Its in fair shape, I am thinking about repowering it maybe with a v6 but have yet to decide I may just rebuild the original motor. Anyway thats my story.

Repowering a '54 CJ

[QUOTE= I have a 1954 cj3b that i use around the farm and the occasional trip to town. Its in fair shape, I am thinking about repowering it maybe with a v6 but have yet to decide I may just rebuild the original motor. Anyway thats my story.[/QUOTE]

The original F-134 has the low end torque to pull things around the farm, but, it is a little (!) pokey if you are in a hurry around town. Many folks have made the V6 swap, but you still have a set of differential and transfer case gear ratios that give you a high RPM 45-mph cruise.

The V6 will be a 12-volt starter -which makes an electrical system swap if the F-134 is still a 6-volt system.

There isn't a "correct" answer.

The electrical system has been upgraded to 12 volt so that wouldn't be a problem. I was also thinking about a overdrive but I'm not sure what do you think.

I'm not a CJ/M38 Jeep person (my truck is a '48 2WD), so I don't have a lot of experience with the little Jeeps. KWAS offers an overdrive for about $1K, but I've see no one comment about how it works or how it installs.

Can't help much with that question.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Will do Thanks

Hi! The idea about a v6 is good, i recommend a 4L 151 from chevy. it’s cheaper, use less gas and runs happily at high rpmīs, have enough power, it is lighter and it’s easy to adapt.
    With the 5.38 can run 33 or 35īs whit no problem,

Let us know what you decide to do and send us photos.
    have a nice day

Thanks Luis I will look into that