Thread: Mississippi Willys

Mississippi Willys

Hi - Shelby Hazzard, 1953 Willys CJ3A and 1954 M38A1 owner. Glad to be a part of the group.

M38A1 question

Quote Originally Posted by sahazzard View Post
    Hi - Shelby Hazzard, 1953 Willys CJ3A and 1954 M38A1 owner. Glad to be a part of the group.
    Hi Shelby. M38A1 owner, also in Mississippi on the coast. Dumb question. Can't get the back jerry can hold down bracket loose enough to get gas can out. What am I missing?

Bill Martin

Old Marine, Thank you for your service!

It sounds like the strap is secured on each end, and is a one piece? It can be one long strap with a buckle to secure the excess. Post a picture for us to see exactly what you have going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry for the late reply. It had a metal strap for hold down. I removed it (with some force) and replaced with a cloth strap. Problem solved.

New issue. Had low oil pressure (5 psi or less at idle; with revs up to 20 psi range but faded back to 10 psi or so when cruising). Replaced with new gauge from Willyskaiser and now reads 20 PSI whether I am idling or at road speed. I know 20 PSI is minimum at road speed but 35 PSI is "normal". My wonder now is can I trust it if it is "always" at 20 PSI, idle or driving? Any thoughts?

Normal Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. It had a metal strap for hold down. I removed it (with some force) and replaced with a cloth strap. Problem solved.

New issue. Had low oil pressure (5 psi or less at idle; with revs up to 20 psi range but faded back to 10 psi or so when cruising). Replaced with new gauge from Willyskaiser and now reads 20 PSI whether I am idling or at road speed. I know 20 PSI is minimum at road speed but 35 PSI is "normal". My wonder now is can I trust it if it is "always" at 20 PSI, idle or driving? Any thoughts?
    30 PSI would be great, but if you show constant 20, that's probably pretty good for an older engine. I'd just keep an ear open for strange noises.

I do wonder why it never changes?

The 5 at idle is normal. The new pump and the old pump bumping around 20 while above 2500 RPM sounds like the gauge is sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The 5 at idle is normal. The new pump and the old pump bumping around 20 while above 2500 RPM sounds like the gauge is sticking.
    Called WillysKaiser. Typical great support. They're sending new gauge without charge and they rec "let's try a new gauge then re-evaluate to track down what's wrong". Can't ask for more than that.

Be sure to replace the rubber line and thoroughly clean out the hard tubing if you haven't done so already.