Thread: bryan 1954 willys

bryan 1954 willys

hello my name is bryan i am new to this site i have a 54 willys i bought from my grandmother after my grandfather passed away in december 2011 it means alot to me because i went with him to pick it up in april 1999 i have done alot of motor work to it over the years since it was stuck when we picked it up we knew it was a willys but wasnt sure what type it was i have narrowed it down to an m38a1 but i still am not 100% sure on it i was hoping some one could help me out by telling me how to determine exactlly what i have so i can get past the teardown. It does have the split windsheild and the blackout markers no turn signals the only color i have found was green other then the fuel tank which is not original i did find the sierial number data plate behind where the passenger seat should be but it had been painted over a few times when i search the number it comes up as m38a1. Can anyone tell me how to get a little more closure on this i want to be sure i restore back to original condition?

Your Willys sounds like an M38A1, can you post some pictures of it?

so during the teardown i found to on off switch and the foot switch that is for the starter which to me means that someone has done a swap for a differant starter and switch the 24 volt for a 12 volt system is ths correct

oh yeah thats an m38a1!! no doubt

Welcome Bryan , seems that you have your m38a1 identified now and you can get on with restoring it back to original and I look forward to seeing the progress....good luck