Thread: Differential Overhaul

Differential Overhaul

Hello. I have a question. I have a '52 M38a1. Restored it. Looks like it came off the battlefield...except newer. Anyway, couple weeks ago to make a long story short, my differential died. I'm just looking for a realistic rebuild cost. Let's say on the high side. Anyone, and I'm sure there are a few of you, out there had to go through this? Second question, how difficult is it to rebuild it in the backyard? Or should I just send it into the shop? I'm a decent enough of a mechanic, just never had to rebuild a differential before. I've done the T-90 before, had no problems there. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, ballpark figure for a rebuild. Thanks, -G

I haven't worked a differential myself because the manuals call for several special tools... spreaders, dial gauges, holders, pullers, drivers. I am sure many of these tools have common substitutes that could be made to work but some would have to be purchased or manufactured. I generally live by the belief that a person cannot own too many tools but there are limits... it has been 30 years since the last time I needed to open a differential for maintenance and I hired that job done because it cost about the same, if not more, to buy the tooling I needed. My toolbox has expanded considerably during the last 3 decades but I still don't have the tools necessary to properly overhaul a differential. (30 years ago it cost me $600 to have the front differential on a '69 Bronco done. spider gears stripped out and ruined nearly everything inside.).

Start by downloading all the manuals for your jeep. You can go to willysmjeeps.com, though you need to register to access the download section. If you are looking for other parts for your project, try G2 axle or kaiserwillys.