Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1951 Willys Pick Up

Old School Values

A. Yessir and Yes'maam. I was watching Wheel of Fortune last night and they were featuring Nashville,TN as a theme. All of the contestants were from the middle Tennessee area. One contestant, a high school football coach the size of a small bear, always addressed the emcee as "Sir, Yes sir and No sir" through the whole show. I'm originally from West Tennessee and we learned that courtesy early.

B. "I got my starter back yesterday." Mike/KWAS is part of those old school values. He farms out a lot of rebuild work and when you're rebuilding 70-year old stuff it doesn't always turn out right the first time, but Mike does his best to make it right. And, that goes for other folks in the Jeep communityas well.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    A. Yessir and Yes'maam. I was watching Wheel of Fortune last night and they were featuring Nashville,TN as a theme. All of the contestants were from the middle Tennessee area. One contestant, a high school football coach the size of a small bear, always addressed the emcee as "Sir, Yes sir and No sir" through the whole show. I'm originally from West Tennessee and we learned that courtesy early.

B. "I got my starter back yesterday." Mike/KWAS is part of those old school values. He farms out a lot of rebuild work and when you're rebuilding 70-year old stuff it doesn't always turn out right the first time, but Mike does his best to make it right. And, that goes for other folks in the Jeep communityas well.
    I've talked to Mike several times and he's never steered me wrong. I think I've already mentioned if this starter still won't turn it over fast enough then I'm going to convert it to 12volt. It might just be that it's a little to tight for 6volt.
    It was board out to .80. I had to buy oversize pistons. Even though I wanted to keep it 6volt it doesn't bother me to switch it.

Tim,

If the starter is in good shape, the 6 volts will be able to turn it over just fine. Unless the heads and block were decked, then your compression ratio will stay pretty close to stock, regardless of diameter of the pistons. When the block and head are shaved, then the compression chamber is made smaller, thus boosting the compression ratio. A 6 volt system actually has more torque then a 12 volt. If you run into issues still in regards to cranking RPM, don't be afraid of throwing 12 volts to the 6 volt starter. The whole ignition system can handle it for short amounts of time, just make sure that the lights are not switched on, to include the brake lights. That gets expensive fast having to change out the bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Tim,

If the starter is in good shape, the 6 volts will be able to turn it over just fine. Unless the heads and block were decked, then your compression ratio will stay pretty close to stock, regardless of diameter of the pistons. When the block and head are shaved, then the compression chamber is made smaller, thus boosting the compression ratio. A 6 volt system actually has more torque then a 12 volt. If you run into issues still in regards to cranking RPM, don't be afraid of throwing 12 volts to the 6 volt starter. The whole ignition system can handle it for short amounts of time, just make sure that the lights are not switched on, to include the brake lights. That gets expensive fast having to change out the bulbs.
    When I took it to the machine shop I told them to do what they needed to to get it right. I cant remember what they told me they did but I would assume they shaved the head and block. I'm glad you mentioned a 12volt would work in a short amount of time.
    I don't have any of my lights in yet. And as for any gauges, at this point I'm willing to take my chances. Thanks for the tip.

This has been a very good day, I did get the engine running today. After getting my starter back it still didn't have the power to start it. I went out and picked up a 12 volt battery. I had to prime the carburetor a couple of times but it started right up. I ran it for about 30 minutes varying the rpms from about a thousand to two thousands rpms. According to Brian (metalshaper) I'm considering my engine broken in. Thank you gmwillys for the tip of the 12volt battery.

No problem at all. That has me puzzled about the starter. Now that rings are all seated in, maybe the starter will turn it better.

Well, today I attached the transmission to the engine. My question is can you put the clutch rod operating fork in after the transmission is on?
    Also, where do you guys have the negative cable bolted on? Mine didn't have one when I got it so I just bolted it to the head right below the carburetor. It wasn't long enough to really bolt it to to many places. I think it's 17inches long.

Negative battery cable

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.. View Post
    Well, today I attached the transmission to the engine. My question is can you put the clutch rod operating fork in after the transmission is on?
    Also, where do you guys have the negative cable bolted on? Mine didn't have one when I got it so I just bolted it to the head right below the carburetor. It wasn't long enough to really bolt it to to many places. I think it's 17inches long.
    It is best of you can bolt it to the block. There is usually a boss with a threaded hole just behind the generator. That was the original place. If you can get it under one of the bolts holding the starter to the bell housing, that gives a good return for starter current. Use as heavy a cable as you can afford, 12-volt parts store cables are really too small.

You can put the clutch fork in after the transmission is put on, but it takes a little finesse. You will feel when the fork properly engages the throw out bearing.

Well, I got the clutch fork in with a little finesse. That and a grinder, don't even ask.