Thread: Side-Mounted Spare Tire

Side-Mounted Spare Tire

Hello. What is the largest tire someone has mounted on the side of a CJ5 or 6? I have 33x10.50 BFG-AT mounted on the Renegade slotted wheels on my CJ6. There is a 3" lift. I don't want to add a swing out tire carrier and don't want to lose the functional tailgate. I would consider getting a 7x15 steel wheel and mounting a more narrow spare on the side bracket to have a place to put it. It might look a little funny to not match the 4 on the ground but am tired of the current spare taking up all the room behind the seat that makes the CJ6 special. I will need to measure as I have a little spacer that has set out the wheels a little as well and it might rub because of that. Any thoughts or suggestions? On previous Jeeps with side-mounted spare tire, I know that the weight has put a little too much stress on the rear/side panel and don't want to hurt that either. #specialCJ6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Milk4you: I have a 100_1437.jpg100_1437.jpg '48 CJ2A with an unusual Left side spare tire. While it is approx. the same size as the four mounted tires, it has never created any problems

I too have 33x10.50 BFG-AT on my 73 CJ5. I am also looking for ideas to mount it on the side of the CJ5.