Thread: Hi and Questions

Hi and Questions

Hello New to this forum but I am thinking about diving into Willys ownership.

I have located a project truck and was looking for some help on what the beast is worth. Its a 1951-53 I think and it looks very solid no rust holes anywhere. It looks like it has a tornado engine in it. Someone has removed the PTO shaft and it looks like the frame has had some work done on it. The previous owner has passed away and there is no real background info I can give you. it looks like it was running in the 2005 and the dip stick smells of ATF so make what you will of that.

My plan would be to take the body off and restore the frame and drive train and put some brakes on it. probably just rattle can the interior and leave the exterior as is.

So what should I offer for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more photos

Here is the front. I have heard that sometimes people mount snow lows on these things and can bend the frame horns..? only problem I'm not sure what that is.

A. You have a "Hurricane -4" F-head 134CID engine, the "Tornado OHC engine did not come along until early 60's.

B. Frame horns are the two pieces of frame sticking out of the front. They stick out ahead of the cross member just under the front of the engine.

C. Oil smells like ATF fluid ... hmmmm. Could it have coolant in it from either a badly blown head gasket or - shudder - a cracked block?

D. Obviously - no starter...

E. But - for a '5? in the woods, it doesn't look all that bad. The 5 horizontal grill bars make it pre-53. Does it have a serial plate - that would give you a year?

There are a lot of unknowns about any find like this - and all of us will guarantee that it is a lot worse than it looks at first inspection. You will almost certainly have to tear down the engine. Is there a clear title?

What's it worth? Not to give a flip answer, but offer little as your conscience will let you and as little as the owner will take. I'd start at about $900 and see how loud the laughs are....

You might just get a deal.

Let us know.

Thanks for that LarrBeard. Ill get back to you once I make contact with the executor.