Thread: 1953 CJ 3B restore

1953 CJ 3B restore

Hello All,
    I am brand new to this forum, and I am doing a body off restoration on my 3B. When I got it, the PO had crudely put in an alternator and I would like to replace it. My options are to either buy from the Gener-Nator company a original generator housing that has alternator innards (about $1000.00 !!!!) or buy a 12 volt generator from KWAS and wire it as original with a voltage regulator. Does anyone use the original setup, and if so, how well does it work?

Chris in VT

Well, here is one story. When I redid the '48 2WD Truck, I had to decide if I wanted to go 6-volt or do a 12-volt conversion. Being hard headed and wanting to stay as original as possible, I stayed with the 6-volt system for the Hurricane-4 F-head that replaced the original "Go-Devil" L-head.

I've had no regrets. Many, many of these engines started in the coldest weather with the 6-volt systems. You need to take care with the details though, 6-volt systems do draw a LOT of current so cables and clamps are important. I used the original generator - 64-years old at the time, but I did send it to the generator guy to get new brushes put in it. Ditto the starter - and don't forget the bushing that supports the end of the starter shaft. When you buy battery cables, don't scrimp - get the good ones from KWAS. We tried a shortcut the first time and ended up doing it over.

Did it work? Well, last winter I started the truck every week or so; unheated garage in Indiana, no block heat. Now, I do use just a tickle of ether to keep the wear and tear on the battery and starter down, but the old beast started every time. That first turn over is a bit of a thrill - you wonder if it's going to go or not - but after about 3 or 4 cylinders it starts to show signs of life. Let it charge back up after a cold start.

What's the advantage? Well, the satisfaction that it's the way Willys made it. It lets you keep all of the electrical innards original. If you wanted it the easy way - you probably would not have started with an old Jeep anyway.

Here are a couple of photos of the 6-volt stuff. Good luck and let us know what you do...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pay attention to the details; connections - grounds - good brushes in the starter and a good bushing in the bell housing and the 6-volt systems still work well.

Don't skimp on cable size, get good ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the advice - I will be using a 12V generator, and I just sent the starter out to be rebuilt. I think someone reversed the gear ring on the flywheel, as the back facing teeth are shot......that will get replaced as well.