Thread: New guy with a unique Willys and a lot of questions!

Hybrid View

New guy with a unique Willys and a lot of questions!

Hello everyone! This is my first time to the forum, and any forum for that matter. Normally I can get by with some YouTube videos and a manual with my Jeep JK, but I need some help on this one. This is my first old car that I'm attempting to work on. Now to the fun stuff ... I have a 1942 (I think) Willys GPW (I think) with either a '69 or '70 Boss 302 Mustang engine in it.

First question: I currently have a T18 transfer case with Dana adapter, a blown overdrive, and a transmission in pieces in a cardboard box. I have come across a T90 transmission ,M-18 transfer case and warn overdrive with Chevy V-8 adapter all put together. I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to drop that whole system in instead of trying to piece what I have back together. Are these parts compatible? Could I swap the bell housing for the 302 onto the new transfer case?

Thanks guys! I also have a unique bantam style Willys trailer that I tested my restoration skills on first before the Willys if anyone is interested in pictures.

Nice! Welcome to the community!

Interesting, wish i could help you out, good luck! Welcome to the forum.

Need some clarification, my contact info

Hi Joe here. I have been into Willys CJ's since around 1980 or so. I used to know quite bit about these Jeeps. One thing I know for sure you don't want to use that T90 if you have much above a stock motor. I originally put a Buick V6 in my CJ2A and the T90 didn't last long. Went to a T98, hink(similar to T18 Tranny) and now it's bullet proof.

If by "...T18 transfer case with Dana adapter...." you meant to write T18 Tranny with adapter to fit your transfer case, that'd be great, but I think you meant Dana 18 Transfer case. So, please describe what you have. Typing takes too long to explain, so if you just want to chat, you can call my cell for info 714-612-5956 (8AM-7PM Pacific). I'll help anyway I can. You can post whatever we talk about here :-)

You can see my CJ2A here, and the history of the build: http://www.airtanksforsale.com/Willys
    Cheers,
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Brancato; 09-21-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added webpage info