Thread: I need help identifying my willys

I need help identifying my willys

Can someone help me id this Willy's truck it is a 59 and I may need a engine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like someone smacked her in the teeth!

The official version of truck configuration says that the flat windshield was a 1960 change - but it could have been a 1960 model year, bought in 1959. Configuration management wasn't a strong point of building Jeeps. If it fits, bolt it on.

Depending on actual year, engine could have been flathead 6 "Super Hurricane" or it was a '62 or later, a overhead-cam 6-230.

That makes no sense it's titel says 59 the engine is a over head 230 I'm going to check the VIN many it's the Rong titel because of the over head 6 so it might be from the 60s with wrong titel what year do you think it is it is supposed to be all original except snow plow hookup

What is It??

Well, welcome to the confusing world of Jeeps.

It is not at all uncommon for titles not to match what we see in the actual hardware.

Is there a VIN plate on the truck? The most common place is on the firewall. What is the serial number of the truck - does it match the title (another not uncommon happening)? KWAS has a good list of serial numbers in the front of the catalog, but even those are not always exact. My S/N said I had a '49, but by a lot of different characteristics, it was probably a late '48.

The 6-230 OHC could (?) have been a replacement for the L-head 6 ....

As we often say - what you see is what you have. Trust only your own eyes, grasshopper.

The plate is in the crazyest place it's on the seat base on the driver side the serial number is 55278. 11488 it matches titel

I went and asked Mr. Google - he has an opinion on most everything. The KWAS data base ends with 1961 model year data. Through then, the 4WD Pickup model was the 6-226 engine version, model 55268.

I went to:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/wi...ups-19066.html

and found that in 1962 the Model 55278 was introduced (probably calendar year 1961), but no note as to whether the 6-230 was an option or standard. Serial numbers for model 55278 started with 55278-10001, so you are about 1490 trucks into production.

Pretty good bet that with that model number and, if it has an OHC engine - the 1959 was someone's best guess when they titled it.

Oh, by the way - what's that sitting behind it? Looks like another Jeep - maybe a parts source.....
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 09-04-2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Added info

It's my buddy's he is making it into a snow plow it's believed to be a 56 I think he is correct I tried buying it but failed he sold me mine Wich u seen thanks for the info the other one has a hurricane 4 with a tractor pto not original has winch but is not restorable it's too bad off he is just putting a shovel on it