Thread: Jeep help

Jeep help

Hi all

I bought this 1949 willys early August, I have got the motor running and runs amazing. But now I am fighting the brakes. Can anyone help me figure out what these brakes came off of. I need new wheel cylinders and absolutely can not figure it out. They are 11 inch ones off something else. Thanks a ton!7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JeepLance; 09-06-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added photo

I found the Wagner Lockheed part number FD36825 on them also

11-inch brakes were used on the trucks and station wagons from 46 through 64. They tended to be 2-inch brakes vs the 1 3/4" brakes on the smaller "jeep" vehicles.

Internal details did vary over the 18-year period.

I'd make a good guess that you do need new brake cylinders...

Has anyone done a brake upgrade and what did you use? I've been thinking of just buying axles with brakes so I know what they came off of. Has there been anything that has worked better for you all?

An opinion - keep in mind opinions are free and worth all you pay for them!

It's a little Jeep - probably a CJ-2A if it's a '49. It won't go all that fast. It's not that heavy. The original brakes with modern components will stop it better than it ever did new. I found this to be true with the '48 truck.

Getting it to run well is important, but making it stop when you want it to is even more critical. Look in the KWAS catalog at all of the brake parts they have available. You probably need everything from the backing plates out and trying to use old worn, rusted, corroded parts on brakes takes a lot of time and effort that, in the end, has to be redone or gives you results that are not the best.

Unless you want the axles for other parts, buying them just to salvage brakes is not as good an idea as it seems...

Let us know what you decide.

(Your results may vary)
    Attached Images Attached Images