Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need HELP identifying Year 1950? or 1953? for my Station Wagon. Please Help :-)

Need HELP identifying Year 1950? or 1953? for my Station Wagon. Please Help :-)

I have a "1953" Station Wagon, as per title and VIN at driver's door jamb. But I remember seeing some forum or online store that labeled the dashboards per year, and my dash seems to be a 1950.

What year is my Dash? I don't think these are easily changed out, as they are part of the body and it doesn't look like it was changed.

Here are pictures of the vehicle: http://www.airtanksforsale.com/Willys/Wagon/

here is a pic of the dash

The following is a link to a Willys gauge identification;
    https://shop.willysamerica.com/Instr...ges-s/1866.htm

There was a guy on the Old Willys Forum that reworked his original gauges with modern guts, but the retro styling.

Instrument Cluster Examples

Great link above!

My dash in the '48 2WD is the picture marked "Cluster". Others are examples I've found elsewhere. They swapped out easily, so it isn't unusual to see a design in a place it didn't start out.

In old Jeeps, what you see is what you have ...

Your wagon isn't a '53 - of that we can be fairly certain.

Adapt, improvise, overcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks all.
    GM Willys, that is the picture foir which I was looking
    LarrBeard Yes, gauges are as those on the right. I would be difficult to have changed these from the later round style speedometer.

So what I have been thinking is it is an early 50 Wagon. That would explain the dash and the round rear fenders. My doors do have operating window vents that are black (which is ok for a 50), but the doors have the regualr internal door handle (not push button). They could be easily changed during the last 67 years or so (or possibly retro-fitted from the original push button?
    Last edited by Joe Brancato; 09-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.

It would be hard to change out the push-button lock mechanism - but I have been told by several people (I didn't have to try) that doors from about 1947 through 1960's (?) will swap out - same size, hinge arrangement, even same ribbing and dimples.

Someone may just have swapped out the doors.

If one were to want to change their gauge package to the large round gauge, it wouldn't be that difficult. The one issue that would create a stumbling block, would be the placement of the top mounted ash tray, where the later models have the ash tray mounted bellow. The gauge would only require studs welded on the back side of the patch panel, for mounting the gauge.
    0521171713a.jpg

The picture enclosed is not of the gauge per say, but shows the general layout.

sure hope you are not planning on changing anything,,, my two cents are that that dash is way cool. were it me i would not touch it

Pelago, I agree. For sure I am NOT changing the dash. All I am trying to find out is WHAT YEAR is the Wagon, using the shape of the dash as a clue. If the cluster with black gauges is original, then it appears to be a 1950. If it is not, then it would be pre-50.

BUT, I do have a body tag that seems legit. From that, I'd like to determine what year it was made. I need to find body tags from other vehicles that are near the same number as mine. Here is a picture of where the tag is located.

Bottom line, it appears I need to find people that also have a body tag from an unaltered vehicle. From their tag numbers and years, we can interpolate when this baby was made. My Body tank is located on the outside of the body, near the drivers left foot. (just next to the headlight dimmer that I had to re-wire)

My inner fenders were removed, so you probably won't have the same view point (You might have to crawl under to see yours). I don't know the inner fenders were removed, as the engine bay is big enough, but it sure makes it easy to replace the spark plugs in the V8. :-)

Here is where mine is located (just to the reader's right of the steering column, above the tire):

Click on the link to see it with more detail, as it is too large to post here.
    If anyone has body tags for a Wagon, please respond with approx number and approx year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put photo of engine in

It is not the original motor. It now has a SBC 350 Vortec (very fast too) :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Put photo of engine in