Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 63 Willys Wagon refresh

I had a niece do something similar on her way to school one morning. She swears she wasn’t on her phone. The tracks (gravel road) looked like she just drove into the ditch. No sign of braking or swerving before the tracks entered the ditch.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

That was about the same set up with her. The good thing is that it was a fairly easy fix. To be perfectly honest, I believe that she was messing with her phone. She went off gradually on the right, then yanked it over through the oncoming Lane into the ditch for 20 yards with no sign of braking. Then jumped a culvert, sailed for another 10 yards into the mailboxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-25-2022 at 04:57 PM.

The fix wasn't too bad. A new core support, radiator, A/C condenser with lines, a stub harness, and a bumper. The drivers side uni-body stub had a pucker that ironed out alright. The most time was taken up by fitting the core support, and getting it welded in.

Hopefully the lesson was well learned! The flying isn't bad, the landing is usually rough.

Wagon work resumes. The lower cowl needed some love, so a new panel was purchased. Some of the inner panel had to have some rust repair before proceeding, just because it is much easier to clean up from the outside. Some metal finishing will be needed on the inside to make it neat. To ensure that all the lines were good, the front fenders were put on to make sure everything lined up. I put the grill in just to tie everything together, and to make it feel like I was making more forward progress, ( at least a boost in motivation).

Next, the driver's side floor is being fitted for size. I will need to add a little more around the center transmission tunnel, because the wagon was a little more soft in that area than normal. No hill for a climber, just a little more work involved.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-29-2022 at 12:54 PM.

This is going to be a sweet addition to your fleet!

WOW gm married life must be doing well in your world, somebody must love wheeling more than you do!!!
    Looks like your off to the races on the wagon, looking Good!!
    Wont be long you’ll be able to get dealer tags for your Fleet

Yep, all the girls like going out riding in the Jeep/Heep, and are looking forward to cruising in the wagon. Yeah tags..... I just gave the state a check for $820 for all the tags that I'm currently running. Just might have to check into dealer tags. I do have a manufacturers tag issued to me from work, guess I could borrow it on the weekends....

gm don't you have "Historical" tags down there in God's country? I have them on everything older than 25 years. One time registration of $30 for the rest of the vehicles life in Ohio.

"One time registration of $30 for the rest of the vehicles life in Ohio."

Just over the line here in Indiana, you have to renew the tags every year. It takes a trip to the local DMV since you cannot (a) Renew a historical vehicle on line (b) You have to pay extra for "Year of Manufacture" tags and (c) You have to execute an affidavit swearing that you are not using the vehicle as a daily driver to beat out a few dollars in license fees.

OBTW - you still pay excise tax on it.

To top it off, just about every year the DMV employee takes me out to the lobby to show me how easy it is to renew without having to bother her/him. Then - when the robot in the lobby tells her/him that "This transaction cannot be completed - please see a DMV agent", we go back and do what I asked to do in the first place.

Harumph - I guess I'm getting older and grouchier. But - still better than the other option...