Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 63 Willys Wagon refresh

63 Willys Wagon refresh

This is an on going project on our 63 Wagon. The wagon has been with me since the late 80's. I drove it some through high school, in which we called it the aquarium. The sbc 350 that had been transplanted into it via some barn yard engineering from the prior owners, was less than reliable. The wagon then went by the wayside while work, college, and more work got in the way. It was put into storage after spending some time in the elements. From that point on, it was sitting for around 15 years, until the barn was ready to be torn down. I pulled it out and loaded it up for the 12 trip to it's new home. After getting it back into running condition, it still was a piece of yard art, while awaiting its turn in the garage. In the fall of 2016, I was moving it around, pulled it into the driveway, and then and there decided it was finally the wagon's turn. It is a work in progress, and plan on starting back on it soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.

The engine is in need of either a total rebuild, or an upgrade. Might as well start by pulling the front end to see what else needs attention.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.

With the front end off, the frame didn't look too bad. The layers of grease a mouse turds didn't look to be hiding anything too drastic. Some of the barn yard engineered power steering modes, and engine mounts could be prettied up. Might as well strip it down to the frame.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-12-2018 at 08:26 AM.

I've gone this far, pulling the drive train would only take a little while. Have to see in what condition the frame is in. All in all, the frame was in pretty descent shape. Knock off the make shift radiator support, and clean up the barn yard welds, everything is looking good.

I decided to fill all the unnecessary holes in the frame, while I was at it. There was very little rust pits in the frame, except where the hitch was cobbled to the rear frame horns. The front cross member had been modified to remove the steering pivot, so that hole was filled in. The Saginaw steering box is mounted to the frame horn, then the input shaft is run under the cross member. The cross member is trimmed and boxed close to the frame rail, so that the power steering hoses can travel through the cross member. It makes for a fairly clean routing, after the booger welds are cleaned up and faced. The frame was then pulled out and flipped over. No sense in only doing the top side. The axles were slid out of the way for now, on casters. The frame really cleaned up nice. No real grinding was required, except were the welds needed it. Not bad for an Illinois frame. After this point, the frame was tipped over again, and shot with some rattle can frame paint. The axles were reinstalled, and moved out of the garage for the mean time. It was the bodies turn in the garage.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-10-2017 at 10:44 AM.

If anyone is considering on doing a concourse, Pebble Beach restoration, here are some factory chalk marks hidden behind the heater core/ ballast resistor.

Fire wall cleaning and extra hole filling.

More firewall work.

Wind shield and dash rust.

I decided to take the time and make some saw horses to ease in getting the body up enough to comfortably work on the under side, floors and lower quarters. These saw horses will also aid in reinstalling the body to the frame later on. I also invested in a welding cabinet from Harbor Freight. It is actually a pretty descent cabinet. The drawers are heavy duty, with roller bearings. There is enough room in and on it to keep everything welding all in one location. It is expensive for something from the Harbor, but after figuring up materials, I couldn't make one like it for that kind of money.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.