Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 63 Willys Wagon refresh

It seems that when the pandemic hit, I've been busier than normal. Trying to make production numbers on vehicles at work when our suppliers are behind due to COVID case shutdowns, has made for some long days. I have been doing some maintenance to the 2A and racking on some miles on it. In the meantime, I have been making purchases of the sheet metal I've been wanting for the floor repairs. New front floor boards, rockers, support braces, cowl lowers for both sides, lower tail gate repair panel, and the rear body cross member. The only items that are still on the wish list are the tailgate hinge and the rear bumper valance, (just in case the fuel tank fairy is listening). As far as the steering wheel, I'm sticking with the Wagoneer steering wheel and column. It looks right, and since the mount holds the hanging brake and clutch pedals, I'll keep it around. Now all I need is a stretch of a few days with nothing pressing to do, and the sparks will fly. Argon tank is near full, the 11 pound spool of MIG wire has plenty, so I'm running out of excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    It seems that when the pandemic hit, I've been busier than normal. Trying to make production numbers on vehicles at work when our suppliers are behind due to COVID case shutdowns, has made for some long days. I have been doing some maintenance to the 2A and racking on some miles on it. In the meantime, I have been making purchases of the sheet metal I've been wanting for the floor repairs. New front floor boards, rockers, support braces, cowl lowers for both sides, lower tail gate repair panel, and the rear body cross member. The only items that are still on the wish list are the tailgate hinge and the rear bumper valance, (just in case the fuel tank fairy is listening). As far as the steering wheel, I'm sticking with the Wagoneer steering wheel and column. It looks right, and since the mount holds the hanging brake and clutch pedals, I'll keep it around. Now all I need is a stretch of a few days with nothing pressing to do, and the sparks will fly. Argon tank is near full, the 11 pound spool of MIG wire has plenty, so I'm running out of excuses.
    It is a good way to keep yourself busy during this time. A lot of my friends are busy modifying their cars as well.

Why don't I get anything done on the Heeps? Here are two reasons from this weekend. The first is a new to me S10 with a hurt 2.2, (broken timing chain). This truck is screaming for a 502 BBC and a Jerico clutch less trans, but will be put back to stock for my daughter to drive come fall. The second project for the weekend is a Allis Chalmers D12 that is in need of some TLC. The owner brought it by saying that there was water in the oil, and it was overheating. Well, it was overheating a bit, and running on about two and a half cylinders, but the oil was clean and the antifreeze was all green. The points were cruddy, along with the cap. After all that was cleaned up and it was firing on all four, it was still not sounding off. Pulled the valve cover and found the the valves were way out of adjustment as you can see in the photo. Now it is a waiting game for the parts to come in for the tune up and thermostat. At least the tractor is a paying gig. Hopefully next weekend will be an all Willy's weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-12-2021 at 08:34 PM.

I would say the weekend is done!

Man that is some serious lash under that rocker. Whats up there gm? Looks like the valve didn't make it home or the cam lobe\lifter is not there any more.

That lil' D12 is so freakin' cute. It looks like a tractor only a lot smaller.

The adjuster was lose, and was backed out on three rockers. The only thing that saved the top end was that the pedestal studs were lose as well. After inspection and tightening the mount studs, the valves adjusted nicely. The cam looked good with a visual inspection, and the amount of lift. The day before the tractor was brought to me, it was used to disk several acres. If it were me trying to do that, it would have self destructed. Now, after a good carb and valve adjustment, it will idle low enough to count the fan blades as they turn. Now just waiting on the parts order to come in for the valve cover, the exhaust, and a tune up kit. The only real work will be to tighten up the steering and setting the alignment.

gm breathes life into her! Nice gm, keeping those old rigs running!

Another chapter to the saga of why I never get anything done on the wagon.... I made the mistake of saying out loud that I was going to get back to working on the floors of the wagon, (I'm waiting on a deal to go through to salvage some lumber from a house that is slated for demo, for the garage-ma-hall project). So with a few weeks of nothing pressing, why not burn some wire on the wagon??? Nope. My first born decided to see if her car was capable of air mail delivery. First of all, she wasn't hurt, with the worst injury coming from my boot to her backside. After a couple of weeks of waiting for parts, and a couple of weekends welding, beating, and pulling, she's back on the "road". She can now go back to terrorizing pedestrians and small animals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yikes! That mailbox jumped right out there.

Phone? Or will the truth ever be known?