Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 63 Willys Wagon refresh

This is the hanging pedal assembly that was adapted to fit from a Wagoneer. The angle mount for the steering column was has been modified for the wagon's dash. It will take a little work to clean up the welds, and to dress up the pie cuts. The Z link for the clutch has an extension added to the link for the hanging pedal. Again, a little cleaning and dressing up, it will be just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats what I am about to get started on mine GM, I dont think I have enough room to mount the brake pedal due to the firewall starts to curve in on the right side of the steering column.
    I may have to get a little creative unless you know of a set of swing pedals that will work. I am looking at a set of Wilwood pedals and I dont think there is enough firewall to bolt the too.
    I want to go with daul master cylinders for the brake and hydraulic slave for the clutch.
    Any suggestions??

I would go with the Wilwood or Tilton, then fabricate a mount plate that compensates for the curvature, and gives you a solid mount for your pedals. The mount bracket will stiffen up the firewall, since it wasn't designed to 1 hold the weight of the pedal assembly, 2 withstand the pressure of a number 12 shoe trying to push the pedal through the firewall in a panic stop.

The next question, power brakes? If so, are you going to run a cam in the engine? The reason I ask, a large cam will cut down your vacuum, causing little to no vacuum assist. Then that leaves you with a hydroboost, much the same as a diesel pickup/3/4 ton. Then you don't rely on vacuum at all. Chevy Astro vans ran a hydroboost brake set up as well. It is a lot more compact then the ones on the trucks. Next thought that comes to mind, hydraulic clutch or mechanical? If hydraulic, then I would for sure go with the aftermarket pedals from the before mentioned manufactures, just so you keep them in a pair...Just for looks. If mechanical, then I would lean more towards the later Wagoneer or CJ5 pedals. Food for thought.

I am including some links to some discussions that I found looking around.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...ng-pedals.html

http://www.jeepingoffroad.com/vanco.htm

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...my-flatty.html

wow!! looks great

Thanks for the forums GM it made my decision a lot easier.
    DSC04331.jpg
    This picture let me see that both the brake and clutch pedals can be mounted on the left side of the column so I didnt have to cut out the firewall and make room on the right side to mount my brake pedal.
    I am going to stick with the Wilwoods bc they probably have 50 different choices of combinations of brake and clutch assemblies.
    I'm not usig the booster on the brakes bc like you stated I am putting a cam in the motor and it wont make S*&t for vacum and I am going with a hydraulic clutch.
    Once I get them picked out and mounted I post some pictures for all to see.

I've made up my mind to fabricate the floor board, now I need to invest in a sheet metal shrinker and a stretcher to Fab the lower section of the seat riser/ tool compartment. I wish I had the room for an English wheel.

We spent Saturday off loading 3.5 ton of crusher run limestone, since it was a nice day, and before the next rain. It will be a good base, but I figure that I will only need 16 1/2 more tons to bring everything up to grade.

After the shoveling was done, then I got back into the garage and disassembled the clutch and brake pedals. All the loose parts had the paint removed then primed for the time being. They will eventually get painted the original trim color. Since the mount is bare, it will get all the previous welds cleaned up, then the whole bracket will be modified to remove material to where it will look like it is made for the wagon. Where the two sections do not align, there was two pie cuts made to allow me to peen them back together, then weld up. It will improve the barnyard engineered look of the modified bracket. As long as the bracket was loose, I also marked the holes in the firewall, to close them up for better fitment. I am also planning to continue the stiffener panel over to where the good hinge mounts. This will give the firewall support to prevent the firewall from flexing during a panic stop. This will also help when power brakes are added later on in the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Wow, thats a lot of shoveling there GM. I guess I am spoiled with the iron doing all the work for me but I guess you work with what you have!!!!

Your pedals look sweet and I'm sure you will do a good job putting them all back together and mounting them up.

I had a guy give me a quote to haul in the gravel and spread it, but after a month of waiting, I ran out of patience. I checked around with different quarries, and they were high on their delivery charges. The local farmer's Co-op had what I wanted for $30/ ton, so I got enough for a base. It doesn't hurt to run the shovel for a while. My daughter also had the opportunity to get reacquainted with the wheel barrow. The whole process only took about an hour.

Haven't heard a peep out of Palego in a few days wonder if everything is OK?

WOW that sounds pretty expensive for (what we call up North #304 Limestone) i'm picking it up at our stone yard for $18.50 a ton and we use a lot of it, the Arsenal job we are starting on Monday requires 9,000 tons to replace the debris we are digging out to fill it back up to grade.