Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 63 Willys Wagon refresh

Wow I will never complain about the Ohio DMV again! There are some restrictions here also. They are not easily enforced however. Most 25 year old cars in the rust belt are not traveling a lot anymore anyway.

It is a principle issue. I'm not too inclined to let someone tell me when and where I can drive my heeps. The Wrangler is 31years old now, but I drive it daily. Could I get away with driving on a classic license plate, probably, but one State Trooper would make for a bad day. Both plates for the Wrangler and the 2A are $60 for both. It's the newer car and truck that get deep in the pockets. Then the state has you renew on the month that is assigned to the first letter of your last name. Mine is June, so everything is due then.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    gm don't you have "Historical" tags down there in God's country? I have them on everything older than 25 years. One time registration of $30 for the rest of the vehicles life in Ohio.
    UNLESS Bmorgil, you did like I did!!!
    I got a personalized Historical “Tim’s 52 3A” and didn’t put any sticker’s on it I just stuck the sticker’s for the county and month they expire in the tool box and drove, and next July rolled around and they wanted me to pay another $60 or $80 bucks bc it was a “personalized historical plate”.
    Sooo I’m just driving the Ole Orange Crate around with “EXPIRED Historical Plates”
    It’s always better to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 07-02-2022 at 04:07 AM.

I don't see any Constable catching that one! Worst case scenario you have to pay back registration fees. I don't think in Ohio you are going to have any trouble as long as the plate says historical or, is a plate from 1952. I didn't pay the extra for the personalized. I just use the white and black tag they give you. Looks like it was a good thing! Though I have always wanted to get a 1950 plate.

It is hysterical that your historical plate is expired. I can see you in court now. Your honor, it is historical or hysterical either way!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-02-2022 at 07:48 AM.

Leading the Kids

The '48 had been sitting for about 35 years. Once I got the title boondoggle settled, I finally had enough papers to try to register it. Since I was late in renewing the last set of plates I had put on it in about 1975 - I had to pay a slug of "late renewal fees" (maybe 5-years worth) to get new registration papers.

Freakin' bureaucrats...

I have to have my historical plate physically in the vehicle, but since I have a "year of manufacture" plate, I don't have to show the historical plate. BUT - I have to have a current year sticker on the "year of manufacture" plate. Go figure.

I'll drive the truck in the New Haven 4th of July Parade today. The Summit City Wheelers are a Jeep/UTV club that show up with 15 to 25 tricked out vehicles that would look right at home at JeepFest. I spoke with the organizer yesterday, and I get to lead the pack of young Jeeps down the parade route. The old man gets to show the kids the way.

This is what it looked like in 2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    I spoke with the organizer yesterday, and I get to lead the pack of young Jeeps down the parade route. The old man gets to show the kids the way.

This is what it looked like in 2019.
    A smart man your organizer! That Senior Chief, is how you lead a parade.

Susan and I were going to take the Orange Crate to downtown Akron tomorrow and participate in the 4th of July parade/car show but on Monday night some young kid decided he was going to out run the police on route 8 at 90 some mph and when they got close he decided he’d make them stop chasing him by firing a couple warning shots at the cruisers and it went incredibly down hill fast
    Needless to say it ended with one 20 yo dead with 60 some bullet wounds and 90 some empty casing on the ground, a massacre to say the least, so Akron decided to cancel all events downtown due to riots every night since.
    Im telling you it’s Horrible in Akron Ohio right now

Wow saw that on the news. A very brief mention that the boy fired at the police and they returned fire. The news is cranking it up to riot status.

The world is going hell in a hand basket. That's why I only leave the ranch as little as possible.

Since I had a week off, I did get some forward progress on the wagon. The drivers side floor pan is 90 percent completed. I did run into a slight rub on positioning the forward hat channel section. The floor pulled upward in that section from the heat from the welding... (No matter how many times I've done a floor pan, I do this at least once to where I cause myself more work to make it right). Oh well, break out the shrinking hammer and dolly for a little more practice. After pondering the universe and consuming a beer and a Lucky Strike, it came to me why don't I try to sub assemble the passenger side. That went way better in my opinion... until it comes to putting it into place. It shouldn't be too bad. The passenger side wasn't near as rusted out as the driver's side, so there won't have to add any extra sheet metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man that is looking nice gm! I am amazed at how you put these back together after God dissolves them.