Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 63 Willys Wagon refresh

Hopefully this project won't become an artificial reef.

Could be worse.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Willys America has a fire wall heat and sound insulator that looks like it should really kill a bunch of heat and noise from up in the engine room. On hot summer days that little F-134 in the '48 seems to dump as much heat back to the cab as it throws out through the radiator.

I was able to save the original firewall insulation, but am toying with the idea of installing the Dynamat behind the insulation, to keep with the original look. I don't want to spoil the look of the outside of the firewall with insulation, within the engine compartment. The biggest area of concern would be under the floor. I don't want to detract from the look of the steel floor and the oak runners. My only choice would be to apply the Dynamat to the underside of the body. A Line-X application would be a better solution for the exterior floor, and the dollars and sense would be comparable to the true Dynamat application. I foresee the application of both the Dynamat for the interior doors, roof and quarter panels, then the Line-X for the environmentally exposed underneath.

One may ask to why I am considering to go this route? Well, lets review the overall plan for the Heep. The wagon will be an everyday capable all season driver. It was already converted over to a SBC V8 before purchased 30 years ago. The engine will be either upgraded to a gen IV SBC L96 364 C.I. plug and play engine, or I'll rebuild the tired 350 and throw on a stand alone fuel injection system. The remainder of the drive train remains the original axles/T-case/transmission, in which they will remain for now. The future would bring some upgraded, one piece axles, and a higher road gear. The transmission will stay, but an overdrive would be added to the T-case. Tires would remain close to a stock size, because I'm not getting any younger, and am too fat to jump into any vehicle. As far as the climate control, I am not an A/C guy when driving, especially with the wing windows, cowl scoop, doors and rear seat sliders open. f it gets really warm, the upper tailgate can be opened as well..... Just wait for the hatch to come crashing down when galloping over railroad tracks.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-an...ion/dynaliner/

http://www.linex.com/protective-coat...ty-and-defense

It's a Plan

It sounds like a pretty well thought out plan and you have the ability to execute it.

As the Old Gunny said;
    "Everyone has a plan until those first rounds go 'snap' over your head."

We have good practice at maintaining things that get shot at. It's not the rounds overhead, but the ones that lurk under the roadway that make for a bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsWXFJxYp8U

Today was a good day to see what could be salvaged from the removed floorboard.
    I also decided to hang the driver's door to ensure that the door gaps are staying where they need to be. It ended up being a good plan, because the cowl relaxed a 1/4". It's shored up now.

Storms are starting to roll through, and my poor viscous guard pup wasn't happy. She wasn't feeling good this afternoon anyway. Then my shadow wasn't to happy sharing her garage.

Looking good gmwillys. I'm going to have to replace the right floor pan soon. I should probably replace both of them but the left side is a lot better. Still trying to figure out how to weld on thin meatal. The little welder I got at Harbor Freight wants to burn through the metal. I see more practice welding in the near future.

Tim,

Sheet metal isn't as hard as one may think. I run a Miller 110VAC welder, with .035 solid wire, and 25% Argon gas. I like running the thicker wire for filling gaps and ground out rust holes. Old sheet metal withstands heat much better than modern steel, and a whole lot better than the foreign made steel. I can set the heat much higher, with a slower wire speed then stitching in a newer floor pan. When you do weld in a floor pan, focus your heat on the original steel, and draw in the new steel into your puddle. Bounce around a lot, to prevent from causing wrinkles.

I hope all is well with you and your family after the tornado swept through Alabama GM.