Thread: New to Willy’s in Maryland

New to Willy’s in Maryland

Hey there folks! Joined the forums here as a resource for my newest project, a 1945 Willy’s MB. I’ve done a couple 2 wheeled projects from the frame up, one came back from so close to dead the grave was dug and the chairs set out for it. This Willy’s will be my first major 4 wheeled project, and I can’t wait to dig in. To be honest I didn’t seek out this vehicle, it came to me on its own, so I’m not the most knowledgeable about old Willy’s, but dang it I plan to learn.

So far I have trailered it home, nestled it in to its temporary home in a carport while I finish building my garage, freed up the shifter, transfer case, and four wheel arms, spun the fan to make sure it turns free, and cleaned out a good bit of rust and trash from the body. The frame seems pretty good on first inspection, engine and drive train are all there and seem to be close to functional. The body is not so good, but hey just about anything can be fixed given the time.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more about these super cool machines, and gathering whatever knowledge you guys are willing to give me. Thanks for letting me join!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome aboard! Please feel free to ask questions whenever you like. We are here to share opinions and knowledge where needed. I look forward to following your progress.

Please share photos of your current and past projects. If it has wheels, we are interested. Being that you are located in the North East, you may look to join in on the East Coast Willys Association. These guys are most all located in New England, and these guys know where the good all the good Jeep parts are hiding.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-08-2017 at 08:11 AM.

I’ll get some current pics of my chopper project next time I’m up at the shop. It’s darn close to done now. I think I have some pics of my previous motorcycle around as well, I’ll also throw up a couple of the ones my good friend works on. I think you guys will appreciate the JD Harley in particular.

Good deal! I look forward to seeing some of your handy work. Do you form your own metal, (fenders, tanks, etc.)I would love to learn how to shape metal more proficiently than what I have done. I need to invest in an English wheel, and just practice. I often wondered how a Harley twin would sound with a JD A muffler. Just a random thought of mine.