Thread: T14 transmission rebuild help

T14 transmission rebuild help

Does anyone have tips or specs on rebuilding T14 transmission? I got mine all together wi and there is about .030 ballpark by eyeball end play on the reverse gear mainshaft. Like the bearing isn’t tight against it. I built drivers and a special tool to hold thrust between the main shaft and input. The bearing doesn’t seem to want to move any more and has that “ring” like it’s fully seated. I just don’t know if that gear sliding back and forth is correct. The gear is new from Herm.
    I’ve rebuilt a few trans. T84. T90. And D 18 as well as some import manuals. But this is my first T14 and there’s not a lot of info out there.

Sounds like to me, the bearing isn't all the way seated. .030 doesn't sound like much, but it is enough to make for a bad day. You might need to seat the bearing with a press, rather than a hammer. The steady pressure seems to make a big difference when pressing bearings.

That's what I thought too. Herm also confirmed very little clearance needed.
    Tonight I took the whole thing back apart measuring shaft stick out, bearing thickness, clearances etc. it turns out there is .028" of clearance or end play between the rev. Gear and rear bearing. Since its pinched between the bearing, which is bottomed on the step (verified) and the snap ring that holds the low/rev synchro hub in place there doesn't seem to be any way to reduce e clearance. Unless I add a thrust washer somewhere which concerns me greatly. Wouldn't Adding parts inside would seem just as bad as forgetting one ?. BTW the new gear thickness and old gear thickness are within .001"
    Any other ideas before I put it back together. I'm actually leaning towards adding a thrust washer between the bearing and the rev. Gear as the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarloaf View Post
    Does anyone have tips or specs on rebuilding T14 transmission? I got mine all together wi and there is about .030 ballpark by eyeball end play on the reverse gear mainshaft. Like the bearing isn’t tight against it. I built drivers and a special tool to hold thrust between the main shaft and input. The bearing doesn’t seem to want to move any more and has that “ring” like it’s fully seated. I just don’t know if that gear sliding back and forth is correct. The gear is new from Herm.
    I’ve rebuilt a few trans. T84. T90. And D 18 as well as some import manuals. But this is my first T14 and there’s not a lot of info out there.
    Update----there is .028 clearance between the gear and the bearing. The bearing is all the way seated against the shoulder. I put the old gears back in and same thing. Almost like it needs a thrust washer. But there was none when it came apart and none shown on exploded view. Can the synchro center hubs go in backwards? The low rev only has brass on low side so not really possible but the 2-3 could I suppose. But that doesn't seem to be able to affect rev gear clearance in any case since its pinched between the rear bearing and a snap ring and 2-3 is on the forward side of the step in the main shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarloaf View Post
    That's what I thought too. Herm also confirmed very little clearance needed.
    Tonight I took the whole thing back apart measuring shaft stick out, bearing thickness, clearances etc. it turns out there is .028" of clearance or end play between the rev. Gear and rear bearing. Since its pinched between the bearing, which is bottomed on the step (verified) and the snap ring that holds the low/rev synchro hub in place there doesn't seem to be any way to reduce e clearance. Unless I add a thrust washer somewhere which concerns me greatly. Wouldn't Adding parts inside would seem just as bad as forgetting one ?. BTW the new gear thickness and old gear thickness are within .001"
    Any other ideas before I put it back together. I'm actually leaning towards adding a thrust washer between the bearing and the rev. Gear as the best solution.
    Adding 0.28" shim or trust washer should do the trick. This would create a preload on the reverse gear, and take up the end play. As long as it does not throw off the centering of the gears by too much, everything will be happy.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-07-2017 at 06:26 AM.