Thread: Seat option

Seat option

I implied in another thread I didn’t care for seats in my CJ3A. They are oversized buckets mounted to chopped up original frames and there was no way a person could slide their legs under the steering wheel. I didn’t want to pay the prices seat parts bring but I got this idea from another forum this morning so this afternoon I fixed the driver’s seat for free. Now I just have to keep an eye out for another at a garage sale so I can do the other side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another cheap fix would be to find a set of boat seats. I used a set of boat seat cushions on my original repaired frames, (the legs on the driver's seat were rotten, so I found another seat frame that was rotten on the upper seat back). It gives enough room to slide in under the steering wheel, and looks almost authentic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually, that is a boat seat that I have been dragging around unused for 20+ years. It was a clamp on model I bought to use on a jon boat I use to own. I don’t have any metal handy to repair my old frames let alone make new ones so I removed the clamp and welded the seat to what’s left of the frame. I hope to drive that jeep a little this week (if I guessed right on fit, the new wheels should be in tomorrow) and I wanted something acceptable to sit on.

I like the way yours turned out. I will have to keep them in mind when I get ready to do something more permanent.