Thread: New to site !

New to site !

Hello all, looking forward to talking to everyone. I've had my 59 cj5 for about 30 years and have it home from the farm for a rebuild. I've found that Mike from Kaiser Willys is the real deal. Lots of help and the quality and service has been excellent. I have it just about disassembled and quite a few repairs underway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We look forward to seeing your progress! Welcome aboard!

Thanks, gmwillys. I've been taking a lot of pics along the way. When I get a little time I'll put up some more pics. The guy whop had it before me "hacked" a 225 in it. I had to redo the motor mounts and a bunch of firewall work.Got another bunch of parts coming tomorrow!

That's the fun of having an vintage Willys. They all suffered from a fair amount of barn yard engineering. Some of it was good, most was not. When we bought our wagon, it had a sbc 350 installed. A couple of farmers had it, and used it for duck hunting. The work that they had done was really descent, so all I had to do was clean up some welds, and add a bit more stiffeners to bring it to my liking. The best part was that they didn't cut into the firewall. Good luck to you, and we look forward to your progress!

Here's where I am right now.

Looking good! The frame looks to be in exceptional condition.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Looking good! The frame looks to be in exceptional condition.
    It is now, took a lot of work to get it this far, cleaning, sanding, wire wheeling. I then brush painted it with Dup;icolor rust barrier.

I skimmed the wagon frame with some good plastic filler, on the rough parts. The only place where there was any pitting was around the rear wheels, and beneath the battery. I was surprised that the frame cleaned up as well as it did, considering it spent all of it's life in the Midwest. A quick tip for paint and rust removal, Harbor freight sells nylon brushes that you put on your drill. It is the best thing I've found to do the job cheaply. A $3.99 brush will go a long ways, ( I used a total of 4 when stripping paint of my M38) and will give you a good priming surface after cleaning with prep sol. They do not get hot, and warp sheet metal, and there are no wires to impale flesh. Paint turns to dust, and is easily blown out of nooks and crannies.