Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Jeepin around

Just Jeepin around

Still a few years from retiring, but getting started on some Jeep projects. My first is a 62 pickup that currently is all original, but not really great shape. My son drove it to school and had a great time offering rides on his Willys. Eventually this one wants to get some upgrades to make it safer and probably ride a little less like a buckboard wagon. The second is a 69 J3000 that had a blown motor when I got it. I changed that out for a chevy SB400 with a NV4500 mated to a dana20. Went a bit crazy with the power and broke the rear axles twice. Found a wrecked dodge 3500 with a set of big axles and a nice cummins. That one is now all in pieces slowly getting the jeep body put onto a shortend dodge frame. With just a little body lift I should be able to hide the diesel till it fires up! My newest find was dug out of a field where it had been sitting for 20 years. It's a J300, unknown year. If I can make it go, I think it should run in the Lemons Rally this fall. Daily driver is a 14' GC diesel that has waaay too many computers! Hoping to network around for info and parts. (like every other Jeep owner I am sure.) Often can be found out in the socal desert.

The Lemons Rally looks like a blast! They have a 24 hours event in my back yard, but I haven't been able to go to this point. Would love to set up a car for an event, but I already have too many projects.
    Welcome aboard! We look forward to seeing what you have.

Everyone wants to see pictures! Don't be shy.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Everyone wants to see pictures! Don't be shy.
    Had issues with the upload, all the pics are too big. Made them smaller, so enjoy. Trying hard to get info to identify the year of the Gladiator.
    J300-small.jpg

62-small.jpg Here is the 62. She sits on blocks for now.

Well a little news from a day of googling and chating with willys parts places. The J300 was made in may of 63, and the water pump will cost $200! Ooof!

They are proud of the water pump.... I wonder if a machine shop could re bush and re seal your water pump?

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    They are proud of the water pump.... I wonder if a machine shop could re bush and re seal your water pump?
    Already there. Pressed it apart and went down to King bearing for the sealed bearings. Impeller was crap, and after some digging got one for $65. The rest of it cleaned up pretty good, but is getting some JB weld on all the nipples.

When I worked for a Ford tractor dealer, we specialized in the 2N, through the industrial tractors. We rebuilt everything in house, plus kept the parts on hand to do so. Now everything is just thrown away for a new item. A generator could be rebuilt for $40 parts and labor. We would turn the armature, replace the bearings and brushes. Would work like a new one.

That's kind of the way I was raised too, but I am lacking the machine tools and the smarts to use em. So turnin wrenches is about all I get to do.