Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frankenjeep

You may want to consider a cheap eBay for $79 for the model 30 and up. You can drill and tap a second set of holes for the 25/27 alignment pins and use grade 8 fine thread bolts. I think the spreader pin holes on the housing are smaller in diameter and a bit closer together.

You are correct in wanting to use a spreader. It is nearly impossible to not inflict some damage to the bearings on install without one. It also greatly simplifies things in removal and replacement of the carrier assembly

I am finally getting some parts cleaned up and ready to assemble. What are the popular paint options for things like the transfer case and transmission? This won’t be a show piece but I want it to give good service.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Its yours you can go any color you want! I have seen a lot of colors on the driveline and chassis as well as the motor. Basically originally the transfer-case and trans were unpainted. Military were all painted the same olive drab green and the motor in a civilian CJ would have been black or if it was a factory re-manufacture, red.

I am partial to a good tough gloss black. I use Rustolium with a primer. I bake it on with a heat lamp if I can. It seems to stay soft enough to take a few stones from the road. Gloss black cleans up much easier when its show time. It is really a personal preference thing but, there is a lot of gloss black out there on the undersides.

Black is my color of choice as well. The transmission and transfer case had been painted black at one time and the body is blue. Just wasn’t sure if rattle can was good or if I needed to mix something up and put it through the gun. I seldom shake a can that didn’t come from Rustoleum and am pretty sure I already have enough primer and paint. I am not much of a painter and kinda hated the thought of dirtying the gun for such a little job but would if that’s the consensus.

The uncle of the guy I bought the Jeep from asked me if I was going to return it to military colors. At the time I thought he was a little confused but I have since learned the military did have CJ3A’s. Does anyone know how to find out if a particular Willys was in the military? I would paint it military IF it could be confirmed that this Willys was military equipment.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic5742.html My 2A was a reman, and was red.

The military CJ3A was designated a CJ-V35/U. There was civilian Jeeps utilized by the military for staff cars etc. There should be some nomenclature data tags(brass), or holes from where the tags were mounted on the dash if this were to be the case.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-02-2022 at 05:51 AM.

It would hard to prove anything on the Jeep itself because of the CJ2A body swap. It has a CJ3A serial number tag next to what I believe is a CJ2A paint code tag but that is all. The next time I am back in the area where I bought it will have to see if I can find that uncle and ask him why he thought it was military.

I own a Piper L4 Grasshopper that I was able to get the military history on by writing the Air Force. All I had to do was send them the serial number and wait 6 months to find out it went to the Army in February and ate by a Tornado in Kansas 4 months later. I was hoping someone would know if it’s possible or who to contact for a jeep.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 05-02-2022 at 07:28 AM.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Jeff this is the site for all things military Jeep.

https://g503.com/

Does a brass tag like the picture indicate anything? The one in my CJ2A is black and white.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

That was the steel Civilian tag that was put on all of the production Jeeps. The early CJ2As had three tags in the same location, but everything afterward had the same as yours.

Early Civilian data plate (3)

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...ts-46-47-cj-2a

Civilian data plate;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...64-cj-2a-3a-3b

Military data plate;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...fits-50-52-m38

All the black is gone from mine. It appears to be embossed brass so this tag could be military. It was installed with pull rivets which makes me think it isn’t original to this CJ2A body and could have been transferred just like the serial number (VIN) tag. There is not a military identification tag. My only real hope for knowing is if I can verify the government ever owned my serial number.

I misspoke earlier about the airplane. I sent my serial number and $25 to a guy who has the early Piper records. The military serial or identification number was on those. I sent the military number to the Air Force and got aircraft’s history which gave me units and locations.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A