Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frankenjeep

...and its a rush when it happens!

It's like opening the throttle on a turbine aircraft and getting an unexpected BANG from a compressor stall. You'll never forget the first time and after that, it is still a "thrill". And the comment about needing a laundry is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I love that shirt! Only a few survivors understand that one.

A steering stabilizer will cover for slightly loose ball joints or king pin pivots on a front steering axle. When it its gets too sloppy, nothing will cover for the looseness.

I am guessing that since there are issues with modern gear oils in the transmission there could be a potential problem with some assembly greases. What is the preferred assembly lube for the transmission?
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I have always used the lube I am going to run in the transmission in a squirt can. For lube to "stick" things like the counter shaft bearings and thrust washers in place, Vaseline.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-11-2022 at 09:02 PM.

I didn’t think of Vaseline. That would work well. I keep some in the shop to grease o-rings. The service manual just says something like “sticky grease” and I wanted to make sure I didn’t use anything that would be hard on the yellow parts. Thanks!
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It is good practice to make sure, that's for sure! I have seen well intended lubricants and sealers cause a lot of problems due to incompatibility. Vaseline is a great assembly lube. It is however petroleum based. There are somethings it will ruin. If something is made from REAL rubber (from a rubber tree plant) it will slowly degrade it. It dissolves very quickly in oil and gear lube. This makes it great for assembly as it will dissolve quickly into the lube when you fill.

What are people using to remove the front bearing on the D18 output shaft? It’s been so long since I took it apart I don’t remember how I did it the first time and today I am ruining new parts trying to take it apart again (I neglected to install the shift rail and yoke before assembling the output shaft). My big bearing separator doesn’t fit in the transfer case. The small one got the bearing to move about an eighth inch on the squeeze but I cannot use the puller to finish. My forks aren’t the correct size nor will they drive straight in because they hit the gear. All of my other pullers and slide hammers seem useless. I guess I could make the w-139 tool but would like to hear what others are using.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Good videos on youtube how to disssasemble t 18 transfer case

Not so good in my experience. A lot of videos from fly-by-night and shade tree mechanics. Even the ones most people accept as knowing what they are doing disregard published torque values and other gems of information to do the job “right”.

I looked at 4 videos labeled for the Dana 18 transfer case. Two showed the transfer disassembled from the start. One was of a transmission and the last one had a video of a guy breaking it down the way I did. The last guy did have better tools but he got the bearing off the same way I did using forks, screwdrivers and pry bars. He just didn’t use a separator to create a gap to get into. He did use a heavy steel hammer which would encourage things to move a little faster than my dead blow.

If that is how everyone is doing it then that’s okay. I was hoping for a better alternative.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

The "wedge" is the way to get it done. I have an assortment of ball joint separators. I don't remember which one I use but, here is a link to the type of tool we are talking about. I don't know if this one will be wide enough, you will have to measure. The tool gives you the idea of what you need. https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-...oaAomAEALw_wcB

If you google "Pickle Fork Ball Joint Separators" you will get a few different sizes. You need one that is wide so it fits. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have had success in my earlier days with two large chisels. You just need some good pressure then a quick rap with a large steel hammer (safety glasses on).
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-14-2022 at 06:45 PM.