Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: The Frankenjeep

I thought I might finally get this transfer case reassembled but it isn’t going to happen today. The shift rail seal from Crown rolled the lip when I installed the front cover. The other seal is a nice heavy duty double lipped seal from NAPA but it wasn’t available locally.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Those shift rail seals have been giving a few trouble. You really have to watch the "Will Fit" stuff. Just because it will fit, certainly does not mean it will perform. Black silicone on the clean threads and they wont leak. The copper gaskets on the other hand.... they did leak! The only way they work is to assemble them with no other washer. They are the only washer used. The procedures that have you installing a washer with the copper washer are incorrect. Even when installed correctly they didn't work very well. Permatex Form-A-Gasket was the fix then and still works now. Silicone will seal for much longer however.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 05-30-2023 at 06:00 AM.

Thanks for the info!
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

NAPA was able to get the seal for me. Before I install it, I wanted to ask when people think the best time is to install the transfer case shift rail seals… before or after installing the housing? Thanks.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I am not sure it matters Jeff. I think I put them in first.