Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frankenjeep

I have a couple different ball joint forks like in the first link. The biggest I have will just start over the shaft. I think it’s the biggest I have seen in a parts store. It was a little hard on the thrust washer because I couldn’t drive it straight in.

That axle removal fork looks promising and appears easier to use than the slide hammer axle puller I own. I may have to add that one to the collection.

Transfer case is on hold. Napa won’t have a replacement bearing for me until Wednesday. The other parts store in town may have one but I prefer to buy from the locally owned stores and a day or 2 isn’t going to hurt the project any. I trashed the cage on the bearing I had to remove when I clamped the bearing separator onto the shaft.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

If you have a ball joint fork that is close, you could always "open" it up a little.

That’s what I did after the separator quit moving the bearing. Then I started hitting pry bars and big screw drivers to push it off. Seemed kinda Bubba to me. It got the job done but I lost a brand new bearing and thrust washer doing it that way. I have another transfer case to go through so I am hoping for a better way.

Depending on who you ask, this transfer case may not last long. The new roller bearings, intermediate shaft and thrust washers are Omix-Ada. It may not last another 70 years but it will likely outlast me. The transmission will have mostly new Omix-Ada gears and bearings with a couple of Crown parts mixed in.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

It is way over-speced for the application. If the bearings are good it will last a long time. You must have had a tough one Jeff. Usually they come apart fairly easy.

I make enough mistakes on my own to seriously slow down progress that I really don’t need the parts suppliers sending me the wrong parts. I just found out I was sent 2 different size thrust washers for my 1 1/8” transfer case intermediate shaft. It’s been a couple of years since I ordered this stuff but I can pretty much guarantee I didn’t order the 3/4” thrust washer. I either ordered two 1 1/8” or an overhaul kit for an 1 1/8” intermediate shaft. I received one thrust washer for each size.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Hopefully you ordered it from KW. Mike doesn't care when you bought it. He will take it back. It is frustrating when you are ready to go and you think you are prepared to start, and then the parts are wrong!

KW has always been good to work with on the rare occasion I had to get an order fixed. I did figure out I ordered it from them as part of the “intermediate shaft repair kit”. I don’t know if they assemble the kit themselves or if it comes from their supplier. I should have checked the packages better when they arrived. I verified the kits were there but not what was in them. I checked part numbers and verified the individual parts like the gears and the intermediate shaft for the transmission. The only invoice I came across was for the front axles (Spicer) that I ordered last year. Anyway it was after hours and I decided to replace the pilot bushing in the output shaft too so just ordered both. I may have been a little more patient if the dollar amount was higher but the order total was only $21.95 including shipping.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

What keeps the D18 output gear from dragging on the case? Right now it’s dragging hard. The only part I can’t identify or find where it goes is index number 37 on the transfer case diagram. Part number A-976 Snap ring, bearing. Looking ahead my guess it that snap ring goes in the front cap and holds the output shaft bearing. My gut tells me to knock the bearing cup in a little farther but it is already offset in there.
    C4C5D84B-BAEE-42A9-96AD-2FD741E5D72B.jpg 9C82525E-E01A-4CDB-B949-E0F92CFF9A66.jpg
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

I am not sure which diagram you are looking at Jeff, so I am not sure what the index number is. However, the Output Shaft Gear runs against a thrust washer and it is held there by a snap ring. The output shaft bearing has a large snap ring around the bearing, that locates the position of the bearing. The gear does not hit the case of course so, I am not quite sure what is up. What manual do you have?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-25-2022 at 11:39 AM.

I have the CJ2A and CJ3A master parts list (https://www.kaiserwillys.com/master-...46-53-cj-2a-3a).
    The snap ring I didn’t have sorted out earlier goes inside the front cover. It’s not quite ready yet.

The thrust washer and snap ring are installed on the shaft between the cone bearing and the gear. This would be the thrust washer I chewed up a couple of weeks ago when I ruined the new bearing while trying to remove it. I don’t see any shims or spacers listed and don’t have any laying on the bench that would have come out of it originally. I can move the whole assembly back some more by moving the bearing cups but not sure if that is the “right” way to do it. Is it normal for one side to be recessed and the other to stand proud on the housing like in the pictures?
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A