Thread: The Frankenjeep

Hybrid View

To get the bushing out you can pack it full with grease. Then squeeze the shaft into it slightly and give the output shaft a rap with a soft hammer and repeat. The hydraulic force should push it out. You will need to have the shaft with the bushing in it against something solid. You are looking for a hydraulic "shock".

Before you remove it, check it to be sure it is bad. I have read, and I am sure others have too, that this bushing can wear. In my experience this is NOT usually the case. I have seen bad ones of course, but generally that bushing is very durable. It will run through hell. I have seen them come out of a water filled rust box and still be in spec. A well burnished bushing is a good thing, unless it is worn too loose. It needs to be .628 to .630 and not much more. Be ready to have to ream the new bushing. If you don't have a good sharp .628 reamer and a reaming tool/lathe, a machine and tool shop will get it done for you. To ream brass and oilite bronze, the reamer must be very sharp. Like new sharp.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-25-2022 at 06:34 PM.