Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Well didn't get much time on the Jeep this weekend, but I did get a bunch of yard work done. Lol. However I did manage to get the radiator cleaned out, fins straightened and mounted. Looks like the fan had contacted it before folding a bunch of the fins over, the too hose was left off as well where a mouse had decided to make a nest. Hopefully I can get the fuel tank cleaned and put in next week. Any tips on cleaning the tank out?

The best way to clean out varnish and some scale would to know someone with a hot solvent tank. Some radiator shops will dip your tank for a fee, but not all. The next best think I've found to clean a gas tank is aquarium rock/gravel. It isn't as easy as in a military tank, because the openings are so much bigger on the military versions, but you can get all the gravel back out. put the gravel into the tank, then shake the tank on all sides. The top is usually where all the rust forms, because it is exposed to the environment. If there was old gas in the tank, and varnish remains, then you might need some kerosene or diesel fuel to cut through the varnish. After you get all the crud out, dump in some alcohol or prep solvent to remove any oil residue from the diesel fuel, if used. When the tank is cleaned up, (all of the big chunks of rust) then apply a liberal coat of tank sealer. The red-kote brand works well, listed bellow;

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/red-k...ler-liner.html

Thanks, I've heard the gravel trick before...it's not too bad varnish wise but there a alot of rust spots/ bubbles if you will....just the openings are too small to fit a hand in to scrub.

Going to be mounting my fuel pump this weekend with any luck...it was previously mounted on the front fender but I'm going to move it to the firewall instead. The question is should I run power from the ignition or jus put it on its own toggle switch? Also what rating fuse should I use? Has anyone made a fuse box for their DJ?

An unlabeled or hidden toggle switch makes for a good anti-theft device. It won’t go far with what is in the carburetor. I would still route it through the key just so nothing has power when the key is off.

The fuse needs to slightly exceed the max expected load. The pump should be labeled for how many amps it can draw. The fuse should also be lighter than the wiring so it will blow before the wiring burns up.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 05-11-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Just be mindful of what kind of fuel pump you are going to use. Most electric fuel pumps are pusher pumps. These pumps work best when they are positioned close to the source, and lower than the top of the tank. The puller pumps need to be closer to the carb. Being that your fuel pump was mounted on the fender, then it would be the puller style. As far as wiring, I completely agree with 51 CJ3. Wire to the key switch, but have a hidden toggle to 1 prevent theft, 2 to be able to shut off fuel flow in the case of flooding the carb.

Thanks guys, hopefully it won't be long before I'm able to get it up and going!

Don't worry guys I'm still working on the DJ, unfortunately only a few minutes at a time it seems. So many other things I need to get done this time of year...you know yard work and such....

I am jealous that you get to do that much. I won’t be able to do anything to my cj for several months.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Hey guys just checking in...I see what you all mean about no time. I haven't had the chance to touch the DJ in a while. I have been researching a bunch of wiring though. Just trying to decide on how I want to go about it since the wiring in there now is a mess. Anyone have a custom fuse box / wiring they've done on theirs? Want to put a fuse box in and make it neat, need to figure out how big of a box I will need.