Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

No problem. My CJ2 had all the original brake components, but the right rear was crimped off at the wheel cylinder. All I could find wrong was the bleeder was seized. This brings me to my next point of advice. When buying brake components, spend the extra money and purchase American made wheel cylinders. The Crown or Chinese stuff works alright, but the fitment is terrible. The mount holes and bleeder do not line up with the brake backer plate. I've done it, but it doesn't make me happy. Most of your local parts houses carry Wagner Brake components, and they fit like the originals.

Having trouble tracking down some wheel cylinders locally....my style wheel cylinders have the screw in style hoses with the copper washer. Local guys seem to think they were rear cylinders someone has put on the front at one point. Any suggestions

A quick look in the catalog (2018;page 113) seems to show several different wheel cylinders (front; self-adjusting and non-self adjusting, left and right rear).

I'd call Mike at KWAS and get his advice on what goes where.

Is there a mount on the axel knuckle for the steel S line from the wheel cylinder to go? Then the hose mounts to the S line from there. Curious to see if the axel may have been liberated from another breed of 4X4. Could be a Scout 80/800, or an early Bronco axel. Who knows, the previous owner may have cut the mounts off, and ran the hose directly to the wheel cylinder, the washer is there to take up some room when the hose bottomed out.

There doesn't seem to be any brackets on the axle, just the bracket on the frame for the hose, the driver's side hose was rotted off...nothing left other than the end screwed into the wheel cylinder, and the end clipped into the frame bracket. The passenger side was still all there. Appears to look factory. My guess is that the tub and frame are not original to each other which would explain why some of the mounts were moved and welded. Im guessing an earlier model cj5 frame. I will try to get some axle pics when I can.

Early Bronco is ruled out being that the Bronco is a driver's short side as opposed to the passenger short side. What's throwing me off is the depth of the lip of the backer plate dirt shield. A early International Scout 80/800 is a passenger side pumpkin, but the brake dirt shield is not correct either. The diagram on Kaiser's site for the CJ5/6 does appear to match the appearance of the backer plate, but a Google search for the backer plate does not look the same. I would conduct a search on the casting numbers on the axle itself, then at least then it can be identified for where exactly it came from.

I will have to look for some numbers I guess... thanks again guys!! I knew it would be loads of fun.

Here is some added information on the most common axles out there, along with where to find the numbers.

http://www.differentials.com/technic...dentification/

or for visual reference;

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep-facto...fication-chart

Found the numbers on the wheel cylinder15228692462382022945458.jpg1522869290177598354215.jpg it's a Wagner Lockheed FD9006, the local parts guy still hasn't come up with one. Anyone have a good cross reference for these? I did manage to find one online for 80$ seems a bit much.