Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

welcome, am also doing a frame up restoration about 2 yrs into it, lot of great information here, just ask and it will come

Got some more time in on the Jeep today, shocks are in, trans, and transfer have new fluid. Gotta get the tank cleaned and mounted then run a new fuel line, mount the radiator, should be able to move around under it's own power after that....so much done but so much more to do....

Looks like you were able to get a lot done. We finally had a nice weekend, so I was able to rearrange the stable, and get the 2A out. You'll be out and about in no time, enjoying the warm weather. Keep us updated.

Will do, it's definitely a long road, but a good one, lots of learning too.

It is a long road, but the sense of accomplishment will be all yours. Every bolt, every curse word, every drop of blood is all yours.

I like learning everything I can about these old work horses. Before your post came along, I admit I didn't know much at all about the DJ series, let alone a CJ/DJ conversion. It allows me to use my brain for a change.

Thanks again Gmwillys, I appreciate all your help and head scratching you give. It's getting close to running and driving now. Definitely have to replace the pinion seals on the t-case as they are a steady drip. Also the steering box seems to be leaking/dripping as well. What is used in the steering box for fluid? Looks like someone resealed the box at one point but the permatex is peeling out.

No problem. We just like proving to our long suffering misses, that our heads are full of semi worthless knowledge.

Gear lube 140 Wt. Someone most likely the RTV was added from the outside, while the steering box was leaking. I have heard of the corn head grease being used, much the same as the hub oil replacement, and that could buy you some time until you could get to the reseal. I would ask myself how much play is in the steering wheel? Does the box need to be rebuilt? If the answer is tolerable and no, grease may be the way to go for the time being.

Here is a little bit of what has been posted about steering boxes, and oil vs. grease.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/g...opic37833.html
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-01-2018 at 01:09 PM.

I’ve had the same problem with seals leaking and a Ole Timer told me to put a little brake fluid in with the oil and it has a reaction with the rubber seals and tightens it up and it worked in my situation.
    Just a thought.

That's a good point Tjones. The Ole Timers know a lot of good tricks. At the race track one night, the power steering box started puking out the input shaft. A well seasoned guy came up and asked if we had any silver solder radiator flakes. He said add a pinch to the reservoir and start working the wheel back and forth from lock to lock. The pump growls like hell for a few minutes, but that stopped, and the seal stopped leaking.

Thanks guys, those are some good little tricks.