Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Seems to have the Spicer 18 has two sticks and the brake on the output shaft

That's why I don't gamble much. Since you have a Spicer 18, then you most likely have a T-90 transmission.

Real quickly this morning I jumped the coil with 12 volts, cranked the engine, and got nothing...replace the coil? Should I check spark from the coil wire , or one of the plug wires? Thanks again

It doesn’t really matter where you check spark at but I think I would check spark at the plug because that is the fastest way to confirm if the ignition is working. If there isn’t spark at the plug then I would start troubleshooting the ignition system components starting with the coil and working down stream.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-09-2018 at 08:21 AM.

I concur. The plugs are the easiest place to start. If the spark isn't there or yellow, check the points. A simple touch up of the contacts with some sand paper or thin file, usually cures a dim spark. While you are in the distributor, check the rotor button, the rotor contact, and the cap. All can be touched up with sand paper. Do all this before spending a dime on a tune up kit, because if the engine has deeper problems, you wouldn't have spent any money on consumables.

My wagon has a points distributor. Whenever it was parked for any length of time, the points and distributor cap would need a touch up before attempting to start. If not, you would have to crank for a while before it might fire. A quick touch up, and filling of the fuel bowl through the vent on the carb, and she would fire every time.

Thanks again guys, I checked both spots same result no spark, I haven't done anything inside the distributor yet.

Another quick question...my voltage regulator mounted on the firewall has 2 terminals on the bottom side and 1 terminal at the top, according to my wiring diagrams they have letters assigned to them, I don't see any labeled in it. Just trying to trace my wiring to make sure they are hooked up in the correct terminals. Thanks again guys, sorry to be such a pain.

Please, don't hesitate to ask. The tabs that the screw goes through on the regulator usually are stamped what they are for. The top, single terminal is the BAT. The bottom left goes to the Armature, and the bottom right goes to Field.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/categor...66-jeep-willys

Thanks again guys, hopefully I will get more time in the shop this weekend. I will keep you updated!

IMG_20180210_162512106.jpgwhere is this line supposed to attach, comes from the intake below the carb, it's just cut/ crimped off.