Thread: 226 super hurricane heartbeat

226 super hurricane heartbeat

I ask my grandfather last night when the last time he started the motor in my willys he gave me. He said a year or 2. So what do I need to do to make sure it will work and not seize up while I'm fixing some things on the motor and doing a tuneup. Like is there something I can turn to make sure nothing is seized up and do that until I'm ready to start it or what?? 226 super hurricane motor

Pull drain plug on oil pan and let it drip. Leave plug out. Fill cooling system with just water and let it sit to make sure there are no water leaks from block cracks.

If no leaks, pull the plugs. Squirt some conditioning oil in each cylinder and turn it over with a big bar on the crank pulley. It should turn over for you. Run it through several times. Let it sit and repeat over several days. Once it's loose, put it back together, fill with break in oil and start the engine start sequence.

Unless you are exceptionally lucky, you will have adventures with carb, ignition or stuck valves, leaky head gasket, etc ....

Once it kind of runs to your satisfaction, drain that gunky oil and carry on.

And there are other folks with better ideas too.

is there something I can turn to make sure nothing is seized up and do that until I'm ready to start it or what?? 226 super hurricane motor[/QUOTE]

Not exactly the “right” way but I let the CJ3A sit for over 3 years. I checked fluids, got fresh fuel to the carb and lit the fire. Did the same thing a couple of days ago to an aircraft engine that had been sitting 2 or 3 years.

I don’t know that I would be that bold as close to salt water as you are.

If the fan belt is snug, turn the engine over by hand. To give it a fighting chance, pull the spark plugs and give each cylinder a shot of penetrating oil. If the transmission is in neutral, and the plugs are out, then it should turn over fairly easy. Turn the engine over four complete revolutions of the bottom crank pulley by hand, and if you don't feel anything noteworthy, then you can move on to preparing to start. Being that it has sat for two years, you shouldn't have too many issues. Check all the wiring for rodent damage, then go on to the carburetor.

I personally do not put a breaker bar on an engine until I know it will make a full cycle of turns. I managed to break an oil pump coupler on an early John Deere B that we purchased. There was too much leverage on the fly wheel when the oil pump sucked in a chunk of ice... (yes, should have changed the oil first, but it was below freezing, so no water came out when checked). Lately I have been working a side job on a 65 Galaxy 500 with a (formerly) stuck 289. Over the course of a month, every day I added a mixture of cheap transmission fluid, and PB Blaster both in each cylinder, and filled the intake. Every day I would wiggle the fan back and forth, and after a week there was some movement at the crank. The next couple of weeks, it turned more and more each day, until finally it cycled through. It makes a mess in the driveway, but it works. Now to find a carb that isn't garbage, and she just might run.

Thanks for all the help and the wires are definitely eaten up but luckily for me this isn't the first vehicle I've had to completely rewire. I love rewiring vehicles and I'm gonna confer everything to 12v system and do h4 headlights and led tail lights. I'm sure I gotta we sure the ignition right somehow it's wired push to start