Thread: Dana 25 stuck lock pin

Dana 25 stuck lock pin

I have the carrier out on the bench ring gear off and am trying to drive out the lock pin from the spider shaft. It won't budge. I am inserting the punch from the bolt side of the ring gear flange like the manual shows. It's been ten years since I did this operation last but it wasn't that difficult. Is there anything I'm missing??? Any tricks??? This is on a different jeep than before. It looks like May have never been apart before. Did they somehow stake the pin at factory or something. I'm afraid to go any harder. A 3lb sledge and pin punch should have done it right??? Should I try heat or something?

I have had issues punching out roll pins before. On the side that the pin will go through, I have indexed the end of the hole size to the next drill size. This will remove any mushrooming that may have occurred from when the pin was installed originally. Heat can be applied, but the roll pin expands at a faster rate then the base metals, so caution needs to be applied. A roll pin punch matching the size of the hole makes a big difference also.

As far as I can tell it’s a solid taper style pin. Not a hollow roll or spring pin. I don’t have a spare to measure. Does anyone have the diameter of the large end so I could size a drill??? I’ll probably have to get a new one in any case but didn’t want to order until I know what other parts I’m going to need. I heard of one guy who used a custom built air hammer bit. But I don’t have the tooling to make one.

There are some air hammer bits out there for pins, but most are for roll pins. Snap On makes some, but per usual, they are proud of them. I have read through a few sources, and have not come up with a definitive number/size of the locking pin. I'll do some more digging, the answer is out there.

Would it be feasible to call a parts house for a measurement?

As a follow up. The lock pin was sheared which allowed the cross shaft. To rotate mis aligning the holes. Still haven't got it out but with the cross shaft spinning (one of the spiders welded itself to the shaft) it wallowed out the carrier some. It might need to be replaced. Anybody got a line on a Dana 25 carrier. Does anyone make a selectable locker that would replace the carrier??

Midwest Jeep is advertising a carrier but I don't know if it would fit your application. Kaiser may have something used too.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 02-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

I would check with Mike from Kaiser Willys. He might have a good used carrier. There are some different types of lockers out there. There are some switchable lockers available, that work well with the steer axle. Also, there are some soft lockers to check out also.

Is this the style pin you have? This one was installed from the long side of the carrier.

Have you had any luck getting it out or did you find a replacement?
    Attached Images Attached Images