Thread: Can anyone help identify Willy's MB or CJ2A

Can anyone help identify Willy's MB or CJ2A

I picked up a willy's titled on paper as a 1942 CJ2. From what I've read the CJ2A wasn't made until late 45-49. The MB had 9 grill slots and recessed headlights while the CJ2A has 7 slots and surface mounted headlights. This is what led me to believe mine was a CJ2A since mine has 7 slots. However, the CJ2A has a gas filler on the drivers side and the MB has the filler under the drivers seat. Mine is under the seat like an MB. Maybe its an MB with a changed grill?? It also has a tail gate which I understand an MB doesn't have.

Can any of you experts have a look and tell me what you see?
    Attached Images Attached Images

To me, the body is consistent with an MB. The tail gate was cut from the original body, and flat steel was added around the edges. It looks to have barn door hinges at the bottom. The driver's side does not have the gas fill, but does have the recesses for the shovel and axe, below the driver's sitting position. Some of the early CJ2As had been built with body components from the MB, but if I'm not mistaken, most if not all of the early run of the 2As were steering column shift transmissions, instead of the floor. If I were to guess, in the first picture of the rear of the tub, the roll bar base on the top of the wheel well is covering up a tool box. If so, then I would fair to say that your Jeep is in fact an MB. Somewhere along the line the grill and the windshield was replaced. The windshields would be a bit shorter, and they would not be stamped Willys in the center. The windshield you have, is a 2A windshield.

Another thing to look at is the frame. The steering drag link on an MB is mounted on the front axle. On a 2A, it is mounted to the front cross member, under the radiator. Another part of the frame that would be a dead give away for it to be an MB frame is there is a flat plate on a rear cross member, (sandwiched between a cross member and the cargo floor) then it is a for sure MB. The plate would be for mounting a machine gun pedestal to the frame.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-22-2018 at 05:03 AM.

Outstanding information! I knew I came to the right place! I will check out those items you mentioned and see what I can find out. Thank you!

@gmwillys: I checked those items out tonight and looks like the drag links are attached to the front axle and there is a plate in the back for a gun mount. I guess with that information I now know I have an MB that someone has changed the grill and windshield on and looking at the grill, it does appear its been replaced. Thanks again!

Any advice on confirming the year?

You are welcome. The link below will give you the locations for the stamped serial numbers, plus the breakdown to what year the serial number falls under.

http://wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/Je...NumberLocation