Thread: Painted over markings

Painted over markings

I've got a 1952 M38A1 and I'm hoping that I can find out some history on the vehicle. The problem is, it's been painted a couple of times over the original OD. Does anybody have a way of removing just a single layer of paint so I can reveal the markings underneath? The hood is the only place where I will be able to find the markings, since I don't have either bumper. I tried using a very fine sandpaper but it doesn't really work very well.

The best way is to use light pressure on a foam sanding block, (the drywall foam sanding blocks work the best). Use a coarse block then switch to a fine block to get down to the service number. If you have a steady hand, you can use a nylon brush in an electric drill. This will cut through the layers fast, but would be tough to stop between layers. The brushes can be purchased at Harbor Freight for just under $4.00 a brush. I use them exclusively when removing paint. I am not a fan of sand/media blasting, so the brushes work the best in my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images