Thread: Engine age

Engine age

Is there anyway to tell when a engine was made in our Willys? I was reading that some 226 super hurricanes were put in 12volt later willys and I think that's what I have. Because my alternator and coil says 12v but I want to make sure. So I got do a 12v conversion when it already has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willys owner matt View Post
    Is there anyway to tell when a engine was made in our Willys? I was reading that some 226 super hurricanes were put in 12volt later willys and I think that's what I have. Because my alternator and coil says 12v but I want to make sure. So I got do a 12v conversion when it already has it.
    If it has an alternator, it's 12-volts. I don't believe there were 6-volt alternators, but in a Jeep - who knows what someone may have kluged up!!!!

Welcome to the group - post pictures!

Willys did not keep good records when it came to Jeeps. There is no way to tell how your Jeep originally came equipped for sure, because there were no official line setting tickets that were saved to a factory file. The odds are, that your Super Hurricane was either 12 volts from the factory, or the conversion was completed already. Either way, it sounds like you are good to go on that aspect. Please send pictures, then we can collectively tell to how your engine is set up.

Okay when I get off work today I will up load all the pictures I took yesterday, and I still have a few more to take. Just bare with me and I will upload them all when I get home, so y'all can see the whole jeep. It's definitely getting a whole new tub and body kit I didn't see how bad the rust has gotten

No problem. Pictures help us to see what you are dealing with, and to give advice. There is so many combinations of configurations of Willys salad out there, the options are endless.

One of the watchwords around here abouty Old Jeeps is:

"What you see is what you have".

People have been "new and improving" on them for over fifty years!

By every list of VINs, my '48 2WD truck is a '49 - but it has the soft headliner and split seat that was last offered in the '48 model year. And, I even scrambled the mix more because when I needed a new engine in about 1973, all I could find was an L-134 laying in a barnyard. So, now I have a '49 that is actually a '48 with an engine from the early L-134 series that doesn't match either the '48 or '49.

But, there is no doubt that it's a Jeep!
    Attached Images Attached Images