Thread: Overdrive unit

Overdrive unit

I just restored my FC-150. Rebuilt every part. Replaced the seats with Ford Focus seats which fit perfect. Runs like new. At 2900 RPM am going 40 mph with F134 engine. I am going to add a overdrive unt as sold by Kaiser Willys. No problem adding the unit to the transfer case but I am going to have to design the shift linkage. Has anyone done this? I have a complete machine shop to make the linkage one I figure what it looks like. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is some information that I found on the shifter location that has worked for another FC owner.

http://thefcconnection.com/fc-170_ov...er_install.htm

Thank you for the information. I think I am going to try a cable. It is a straight forward backward operation. By using a cable I can route it around body and engine parts. I am going to get the kit and use what parts of the linkage that fits.
    Last edited by Sebastian21; 03-29-2018 at 01:51 PM.

I think a good cable with a properly secured housing would work good. It just can’t be allowed to flex at the ends. The best type would be a teleflex type cable where you can’t actually see the cable because the attachment ends telescope in and out of the housing (if there is room for it anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by 51 CJ3 View Post
    I think a good cable with a properly secured housing would work good. It just can’t be allowed to flex at the ends. The best type would be a teleflex type cable where you can’t actually see the cable because the attachment ends telescope in and out of the housing (if there is room for it anyway).

Good advice. That sounds like a great alternative to the traditional cable systems. In heavy equipment, a lot of push/pull cables are used on the remote hydraulic valve stacks. They work fine until you add road salt into the equation. Then you are fighting a constant battle keeping the cables running smooth. Being that the Teleflex cables are designed for a marine application, they should be trouble free for ever.