Thread: New to the Forum, CJ3b with V6 225 restoration

New to the Forum, CJ3b with V6 225 restoration

Hey all,

Hope everyone is good.

I'm new to this forum but hoping to get some help and advice on a CJ3B rebuild I have going on. I'm fairly amateur with mechanics but have some experience fixing up old cars (which i've always owned).

I've stripped my CJ3b back to chassis engine and transmission etc and spent most of my time removed a thick layer of 58year old dirt and grease mix. Next move is to remove Engine and Transmission, clean and paint chassis, engine etc etc and then start rebuilding from there.

So at this stage I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you might know some answers to...

1. I've added a picture of the engine mounts found on the Buick 225 V6 3.7l engine... they are obviously not original and I'm finding it difficult to find some the same online... has anyone seen one's like this before?
    IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg

2. I'm pretty sure I have a Spicer T-90 transmission with Dana18 transfer case, judging from the photos i've posted. Can anyone help me confirm this and where to get the correct mounting kit for this transmission?
    IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg

3. I've added a photo of some wiring as found with the jeep. Theres a 12v coil with external ballast resistor. I hope to swap this setup for a coil with internal resistor but i'm not too sure how to wire it given my current setup. On my diagram i've added a red wire to show how I figured I could wire the system but if anyone has any feedback this would be great.

4. I pulled out what looks like the original head core and fan (delco Rochester fan motor) There's only 1 connector point attached to the fan (+ or - ??) and I can get it to work. The core looks good though but the fan and core cant be separated or dismantled from each other, they're riveted together. I can't seem to find this fan and core replacement on line. has anyone seen anything like this before or know where i can get one?

Help with these questions would be amazing if anyone has any clues.

Thanks so much.

Oli

Oli,

I found some information from folks that have found the information that you are looking for as far as the engine mounts.

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index...mounts.109196/

I like your diagram. Very well done. You can delete the ballast resistor with the addition of the internal regulated coil. Your drawing is correct.

I'll do some digging about your heater fan questions. The wire going to the fan will be positive, because the fan grounds through the housing. Ebay will most likely have the replacement fan motor. The fan can be removed separately from the housing by drilling out the pop rivets. The trick will be removing the fan itself. PB Blaster and a little heat on the hub will go a long way in disassembly.

The transfer case mounts that are available through Kaiser Willys will work for your application. You have a T-90 and a Dana 18 transfer case.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-05-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Here is a little bit of information on converting to a 12 volt fan motor in a Harrison heater. There is nothing on Ebay for an original heater, at this moment.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/n...opic28747.html

Hey GMwillys, thanks for the advice... amazingly helpful, feel like I've ticked off a few more things!

Great advice on the fan too.. i'll check it out.

Cheers

Oli

PS my speedo is original and presumably 6v.
    I wanted to check... is the internal resistor the same thing as a voltage regulator?... ie. i'm not going to screw my speedo up?

A coil with an internal resistor is more for reducing static in radios, than reducing voltage. If using a resistors coil, you will still need to update to the correct voltage bulbs.

The speedometer is mechanical also. The back light bulbs would have to be changed to 12 volts.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 04-08-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Well that should be simple!

Thanks again for the info.