Thread: 6 12 or 24 volt?

6 12 or 24 volt?

I have a M38A1 from 1954 with a CJ5 grill and 6 volt electrical system that I just bought. I want to install all the A1 lights and gauges that are 24v. Should I convert back to 24v, convert to 12v or just leave it as 6v and use CJ5 lights and gauges? I already have the 6v lights but have the A1 gauges in a box. I am just starting on this project. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Allen,

I would use your A1 equipment, but change the bulbs to whatever you choose to run for voltage. I like 6 volt, but it all depends on what you plan to do with your rig. If you plan to drive it every day, then maybe converting it over to 12 volt would be the way to go, just for ease of finding replacement bulbs etc. 24 volt would be preferred for a M38A1, but you would be looking at a great deal of money if you do not have everything on hand, (starter/generator/voltage regulator/harness). You can utilize the A1 gage cluster and the black out equipment by changing the bulbs to the chosen voltage. The amp meter and fuel gage will need to be changed to match you volt used.