Page 69 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

A quick check with a laser temp gun would tell you all you need to know. Check the temp bellow your thermostat, and above. Check temps between the cylinders on the block for hot spots, and at the heads. If you think you may have an air pocket trapped in the heads, elevate the front end as high as you can then pressurize the system with a pressure tester. This will coax the air out of the back of the heads. With your new aluminum radiator, the heat transfer should be pretty good. Thermostats have been known to be faulty out of the box, (especially CAT thermostats as of late), so that could be a possibility, but I am leaning to the air pocket. On the C-7 CAT diesels, we have to pressure fill them from the bottom up, or you'll be guaranteed that you'll have an overheat condition from trapped air. This is caused by the configuration of the power pack assembly, and the radiator positioned on top of the transmission. Too many bends and hoses with tight radiuses.

I am heading over this afternoon GM and I will check everything with a laser temp gun like you said, then if everything shows like its saying I will try and burp the system by loosening the sending unit from the manifold right below the thermostat and see if that doesn't work, then if that doesn't do the trick I will yank the thermostat out and try and test it.

Thanks Buddy!!!

Gettin' Hot

In the Toledo Parade last year, BMorgil's PeeJ had a temperature problem. Three of us watched the temp gauge pin itself at full scale and we ended up using a coffee mug to hold open the hood just to get some air circulation. It never chundered or spewed, but after the parade we did a couple of science projects on thermostats.

BMorgil found a racing thermostat that I believe he used to replace the auto store thermostat. I believe GMWillys may have suggested adding a couple of holes to the flange of the thermostat for coolant bypass.

Just remember, it's still a new baby and new babies need to be burped - Grandpas know that.

The L134 has a very anemic cooling system as far as the pump goes. It is sensitive to thermostats that don't have a large flow area. I did end up with a Milodon which is a nice one. On yours TJ it might be faster to just fire it up with the radiator cap off. As soon as the water starts to heat it will purge the air out the fill. When the thermostat opens it will burp out the rest, settle down and stop puking out water. When you can look in the fill hole and see the water flowing across the cores you know you have the thermostat open and the air is out. It is best to top it off running and then put the cap on and fill the overflow to the full cold if you are using one. It can be a little messy but it is pretty effective at getting the air out. What temp does the fan come on at?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks guys!!!!!
    I called Chris at Pro Car on the way home after I put a fan on it and asked if it could be running lean and he said with the EFI no way it’s set you got 3 problems.
    1. It needs burped with the cap off like bmorgil said.
    2. Move the sending unit to the back of the manifold instead of underneath the thermostat.
    Or 3. Plug the hand held Sniper programmer in and see if your temp gauge is hay wire, the Sniper programmer will tell me what the actual temperature is.
    Going to try those 3 and maybe see if the thermostat is working right !!!
    Last edited by TJones; 06-26-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    The L134 has a very anemic cooling system as far as the pump goes. It is sensitive to thermostats that don't have a large flow area. I did end up with a Milodon which is a nice one. On yours TJ it might be faster to just fire it up with the radiator cap off. As soon as the water starts to heat it will purge the air out the fill. When the thermostat opens it will burp out the rest, settle down and stop puking out water. When you can look in the fill hole and see the water flowing across the cores you know you have the thermostat open and the air is out. It is best to top it off running and then put the cap on and fill the overflow to the full cold if you are using one. It can be a little messy but it is pretty effective at getting the air out. What temp does the fan come on at?
    Bmorgil I don’t have a relay on it that kicks the electric fan on I just have a switch to turn it on.

Once you get it purged and filled, you should be able to watch it work. I am assuming a 165 thermostat. Bring it up to 190 and flip the switch. The system should pull it down to 175 to 180 or less and hold it there. If it can do that you should be good to go.

Welllllll
    I ran it with the thermostat out and ran it without the cap on and it climbed up to 225, I drained the water out went and got a Milodon full flow 160 thermostat changed the electric fan to push and got a 15” Derale flex fan to see if that helps the ole girl from havin hot flashes
    Will update tomorrow, got frustrated and called it a day!!!

With the thermostat completely removed, a new engine with everything tight and right, it would still warm up pretty warm because the coolant doesn't stay long enough in a radiator to perform the proper heat transfer while it's warm out. Hopefully with the cooler thermostat and running it with no cap and thermostat out, the system should be burped. If you are still having issues, and your troubleshooting plays out, raise the front end as high as you can to aid in releasing trapped air. Crown Vic squad cars had to be raised up till the rear bumper touched the ground in order to burp them. Power flushing, pressurized, cap off, none worked until we picked up the end on the lift. Within 10 minutes the Temps would be normal.

That’s why I’m on here Buddy, to learn new things everyday !!!!