Page 85 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

"What in the hell was I thinking "

If I had a dollar for every time ...

I see that you have a MediumFH in the tool set.

Just don't let any of those dammit clips get away from you.

You were thinking about putting a new motor in there... LS maybe, if memory serves. It'll need the rebuilt transmission. So it had to be done. Weird thing about dresses and tequila. Never mind, tell you later. Good progress!

"P.S. I didn't count everything but there sure is a lot of pieces parts in a T90 and a Dana 18 when you get it all sprawled out on the floor"

Come on now TJ, nothing there compared to a Spicer SST 20 speed!

That’s no lie Bob,, your engineers at Dana/Spicer must of laid awake at night designing transmissions. My Western Star Dump has a 18 speed in it and I don’t think you could tear it up if you tried.

Well a couple bloody of knuckles, a couple cuss words and a few Heinekens and I got her all stuffed back together.......

IMG_3305.jpgIMG_3306.jpgIMG_3309.jpgIMG_3310.jpgIMG_3311 (2).jpg

Very pretty! Time to fill er' back up and cross your fingers TJ! Dana 18's have to be one of the toughest things to seal up. Every bolt is wet. The shim pack is notorious. A real pain in the A@# to seal up. T90's are no treat either. Originally there is no seal at all in the front of the transmission on the T90. It had a felt packing and relied on a "thread pitch" to direct the oil back to the case. It is a primary spot for drips.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    Very pretty! Time to fill er' back up and cross your fingers TJ! Dana 18's have to be one of the toughest things to seal up. Every bolt is wet. The shim pack is notorious. A real pain in the A@# to seal up. T90's are no treat either. Originally there is no seal at all in the front of the transmission on the T90. It had a felt packing and relied on a "thread pitch" to direct the oil back to the case. It is a primary spot for drips.
    Bob I watched a few youtube video's from "Rick Stiver" and he was VERY helpful on how to seal the notorious T90's and Dana 18's bleeder spots up, he suggested sealing every single bolt with form a gasket on the ends and especially the the bleeder hole on the front of the tranny case that lets oil come out the input shaft and bleed back into the transmission, he also suggested to put a sealed main bearing on the pilot shaft and add a rubber seal on the input shaft retainer.
    Now mind you it was a B*&^h trying to put form a gasket on the end of the bolt and make sure I got enough never-seize on the stainless bolts to keep the from goulding and locking up, but I guess we'll find out shortly after I get her filled up with oil and take her for a test run this afternoon.

TJ, fortunately stainless just needs something to prevent metal to metal galling. Black silicone will provide you with both a lubricating property and a sealing property. I have found on the bolts a wipe of black silicone on clean threads will do the trick on stainless or regular bolts to seal it up and keep them from galling.

Damn that’s good to know Bob!!!!
    Should of asked you earlier.
    Thanks

Took the Ole Girl for a 12 mile warm up and brought her back and I spent 15-20 minutes under her looking for drips and not a one (YET) that’s a win-win!!!!!!
    Now I’ll move to the bottom radiator hose that’s dripping ever so slightly on the front diff. then start cleaning up the mess underneath that the oil/antifreeze drips caused.
    I’ll be ready for Toledo and Findlay!!
    Last edited by TJones; 03-07-2021 at 06:05 PM.