Page 28 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

We did a leak down on #1 and it was 30%, I called Fraser in Michigan and they told me it was out of warranty.
    So off the Dyno and back in the engine room to come apart and see what’s allying it.
    Damn about the time you think there’s light at the end of tunnel, it’s just a train!!!

Well - that's bad news, but good news too. AT least you saw the light in enough time that it didn't turn into a train wreck...

Finding an Aw Shyxxt like this (as Pelago would put it) is never good news, but it is much easier to address it now than once you get the engine in the vehicle and then have to address it.

Good Catch!

Of course you have to let us know the culprit.

This is good news TJ. I have personally felt the agony of installing a motor with a bad seal on the rings. A lot of work to put the engine in, a lot of work to pull it out. They make a mess. Dirty oil in the motor on the floor, ruins the plugs.

I am so used to pulling them down after a dyno run at least once to get it perfect. I would be good with it for sure. Next time will be a charm. Pressurize it before the dyno pull. Seal it up tight. It should come off the dyno clean and less than 3%. You will have that good feeling that when it does go in, it won't be something you have to worry about.

Pro Car built a blown V6 for me 20 years ago and wouldn’t let it out of his shop with less
    than a 4% blow by and it made 965 hp with a measly little 471 blower so I know he’s not letting this get out of his shop the way it is now!!!
    Last edited by TJones; 08-15-2019 at 08:40 PM.

A nice warm motor that leaks down at 3 to 4% will certainly work for me!

That’s what I want bmorgil is 3-5%!!

I’ll know better tomorrow when we tear it down.

I’m thinking Fraser bored 30 over to and used stock pistons and rings and said it’s good!!

All V-6s are fussy Chevy or Buick’s I’ve learned that!!!!
    But I do know they will make HP....

I have built a few motors on the Chevy V6 Marine block. They will make good power. Cylinder wall preparation and attention to detail make the difference between a 1% motor and a 5% motor. The machining process is critical. If low RPM (under 7000) is your plan, I would take a serious look at a Total Seal Ring. I have achieved some pretty outstanding ring seal with them. They can "flutter" at high RPM but, on the right motor they are perfect. They can make for a very impressive, clean running street motor. Boring and finish honing with a head plate, and the ring manufactures suggested stones, will get the most from any ring package.

http://www.totalseal.com/