Page 24 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Looking good!

That is a lot of welding!

Nana went to Myrtle Beach Wednesday bc our oldest Granddaughter had her tonsils taken out on Friday and her ONLY request was to have Nana come down and eat ice cream and popsicles with her, that took about 2 seconds b4 Nana booked her flight on Monday.
    Sooooo Papa was batching it this weekend so I burnt some wire up, drank a few Heinekens, smoke a few
    cigarettes and got my roll cage done and finished today putting in some gussets and a couple Oh **** bars and got everything welded and ready to get powder coated.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads,Step-Dads,Grand Dads and Role Models in your Kids and Grand Childrens Lives!!!!!

At a cross-road now.
    My PCer has done both fenders,the grille,hood,tailgate and the windshield and the colors are coming out different shades.
    They are milky from the clear or the orange is faded dark or light they are all different.
    He’s tried re baking them only to find out the PC bubbles up and he has to reblast them and then I have to take em back and let the body guy re mud them up.
    I’m about to Stop pcing and just find a metal flake orange and paint the damn thing so it matches.
    Frustrating

TJones, how well does the powder coat hold up to UV from the sun? I wonder if it will change color as the sun interacts with it. I have never seen a powder coated body. This is very interesting for sure.

Powder Coating

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    TJones, how well does the powder coat hold up to UV from the sun?
    On the '48 we powder coated the wheels instead of painting them. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but over the last three years I've lost some of the satisfaction even though they looked really good at first.

It is difficult to get good coverage around corners into hidden areas on wheels; areas like the slots around the rims. This leaves a few bare places that tend to give a rust streak.

In my case, the powder coating seems to be a bit porous as well. It discolors - not exactly a rust - but the discoloration usually cleans up with fine steel wool.

We live and learn.

It sounded like a great idea. Is he using different batches of orange, or where they done all at once? It sounds to me that it is operator error. Manufactures have been using powder coating for decades, and are fairly consistent in the color matches. I keep wanting to buy a kit to do some piece parts at home, but need to find an old oven to bake them in..... I'd hate to stink up the kitchen.

Old Oven

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    ' ... but need to find an old oven to bake them in..... I'd hate to stink up the kitchen.
    Lowes, Home Depot and similar stores often take in old stoves in trade. We needed a load to test a 30 KW generator we had done an electrical control upgrade on. We went to Menards and got two old electric stoves for $25/each and used them to put the generator under close to full load.

Then we sold the stoves as "checked, cleaned and working" for $35/each and didn't have stoves sitting behind the garage.