Page 44 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    The Boy's called from the body shop and the dress is about to be fitted!!!!!

Attachment 5616Attachment 5617Attachment 5618Attachment 5619Attachment 5620
    Looks like sunshine!

Tape man! cover everything in tape and heavy paper. I actually got mine on without scratching it. It got scratched after!

That's why I would paint everything underneath the tub, then set the body on with moving blankets over every place on the frame that will make for a bad day. Then when that's all mounted paint the base coat and clear on the top side.

May have told the story before, but I had a neighbor that was a body man by trade. He was extremely good at his craft, but was by no means a mechanic. He purchased a '70 Olds 442 W30 for a rather handsome price, but didn't like the red over black stripes that was the original color. He blew it apart and sent the engine and trans off to be rebuilt, then proceeded to give the coach the full concourse restoration. He changed the color to black over white stripes, and it was epic. The only problem was that he fit all the front clip back together to include getting all the gaps right before installing the engine/trans...… He called me up to go and pick up the plant and bring it by his shop. He rolled the door up and here the car sits all together..... He's ready to slide the big block in, so I grab some tools to start to remove the hood.... He freaks out... We argue for a solid hour that the darned thing won't fit without the hood taken off at least. He keeps on, so I give in. O.K. buddy, it's your car and your way. Long story short, the big block and four speed fit but not without a lot of cussing and a small notch deformed into the hood insulation. I hit my head numerous times on the grill tooth that is affixed to the hood, and that didn't help matters. Live and learn.

That’s a Great Story gm, sometimes you just need to bite your tongue and give in!!!!

That is one of the biggest reasons I powder coated the inside and the bottom side of the tub, I figured it would be little more forgiving when I go to set it on the frame. The fenders, grille and hood are all painted and can be bolted on pretty easily with one guy if he’s careful.
    I guess we’ll find out shortly

D33908F3-B96F-4547-BFAC-D846099029A1.jpg
    They wet sanded and buffed on it yesterday
    Last edited by TJones; 02-26-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Bmorgil ( or whom ever has input on this subject)I meant ask yesterday but got tied up at the orfice all day, the harmonic balancer on my motor got broke unloading the motor at my shop (don’t even ask how it’s a long story and pisses me off to relive it) but Pro Car found me another one. My question is are they balanced from the factory?
    We sent my whole rotating assembly out to get balanced with the one that got broke and now I have a different one, we weighed them and they are within 2 ounces of being the same, I checked the back side and they have holes drilled in them where it looks like they were both balanced at one time. Do you think it will make a difference in the balance of the the whole rotating assembly if I change to the new harmonic balancer?
    Last edited by TJones; 02-26-2020 at 05:52 AM.

If the motor is internally balanced, the harmonic should be "neutral", Therefore it will not radically affect your balance. It is not the total weight but the location of any imbalance. It should be very close to neutral if it (the new and old harmonic dampeners) are high quality. Even on an internally balanced assembly some shops like to drill or balance the crank with everything hanging on it. This is a premium balance and is the way you do all high rpm motors. Any residual imbalance left in the flywheel and harmonic are "tuned" out in the final balance.

If it is externally balanced it is probably not going to be any more unless the harmonic that came off has the exact amount of imbalance in the exact same location as the harmonic that goes back on.

All that said this motor (if I read you right) made good power well under 5000 rpm. Unless it becomes radically imbalanced (the new harmonic is several grams off from the old one in location and/or amount of imbalance), It is still going to be much better than any factory production motor of its day. When the rpm gets up into the 6000 and higher range, the effects of imbalance become relative. Horsepower can fall off for a few reasons. The motor in general takes a harmonic beating. Cracks form. Sustained high rpm with imbalance, is a bad thing.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-26-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Your the Man!!!!
    The new harmonic has the imbalance in the same exact location as the old, it was just drilled in a different location than the old and I’m taking that as it needed to have weight taken off in a different location to balance it
    Thanks I feel better now!!

29D8FC12-8E4D-47A0-BF3B-E8D85CA9744D.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 02-26-2020 at 09:45 AM.

That made for a bad day. I would be taking a close look at the front cover for any stress cracks or seal imperfections.

TJ since that motor is externally balanced, if you wanted to get it back to where it was when it left the balancer it can be done. For a few reasons (the main one being the crack) the old damper should not be spun, and it doesn't need to be. A good Dynamic Balancing shop can check the old damper and the new damper for the dynamic balance. They will then match the old to the new by drilling or adding heavy metal. Because your motor is externally balanced, the location and amount of the imbalance needs to be the same as the old to be perfect again. So if it had 1/2 oz of imbalance at 150 deg for instance, you want to match that same plane or 1/2 deg of imbalance at 150 deg on the new one. This can be and is done dynamically. I have had success with this on early stroker Chevy's using external balance techniques. These guy's might be able to help you. I have used them. Top notch. https://ngbalancingtechnologies.com/...hoCnukQAvD_BwE

It is important to understand the original damper. They are manufactured to similar imbalance. I do not know the tolerance but of course they are not all exactly the same. They are similar. Because of this and the rpm ceiling of your motor, I don't expect any trouble for you. I don't want to say this but, I think you have put one heck of a lot of finesse into this baby. If it were me, I would send the dampers to a dynamic balance shop to be matched. My OCD would get the best of me. They may be already matched. I bet they are close. I am just saying... perfect is perfect. It was perfect. It can be again. It is certainly OK now.

I prefer internal balance but, you run what you brung!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.

GM to your idea/suggestion, what actually happened was I had a employee helping me unload it from my pickup and he said " I'll help you get it unloaded" and the Oxygen Thief (one that breaths air that our Grand Kids may need one day) picked it up with the chain hoist and let it get away from him when it lifted off the bed of my pickup and it swung out (not having enough a%$ because the motor weighed 3 times what he did) and hit the workbench and broke the harmonic balancer, so I checked the timing cover and there was no damage to it or the seal THANK GOD..
    Bmorgil to your idea/suggestion Pro Car sent the balancer to the guy that balanced the whole rotating assembly today and they ran it like you said, (mine actually came out of a Grand National motor and the guy that had the parts has a warehouse full of Grand National motors and parts) which I had no idea they could do it by itself and they called and said it would make the motor a tiny bit better or equal to what it was when they did the whole assembly 3 .5 weeks ago!!!
    Thanks Guys, I really thought the whole motor had to come apart AGAIN........