Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

LarrBeard they have a oven in their shop that is 40’ x 40’ and he says it heats up to 800 degrees F, they told me they powder coat a lot of stuff for the military and they need it to get that hot to meet the spec’s they want.

Thanks Guys I’m taking my time and thinking ahead, well sometimes anyways “ like the fuel tank verses the fuel cell “

Time taken now, saves time redoing later. I spent the last week building a platform for the step daughter's washer and dryer. The stand started with a pile of some leftover 2X4 studs and a 4x4 post. We had taken measurements of what was needed, but hadn't thought too much about the actual design. The frame was built, and spent an evening after work studying different thoughts. The final product was an old mission style door. An evening was used up cutting and piecing the boards together creating a pattern, then the next two sanding and staining. Then the final night to clear coat. It turned out well enough, my long suffering Misses wants one for our kitchen remodel... Tomorrow sounds like a good day to start on the second piece.

P.S. living in Montana, now I'm jealous again. I keep threatening to move to Alaska. The misses says hell no, it's too cold. I like the cold. Montana might be a good compromise.

Not really gm, I would wake up sometimes it would be 70 and by night time it would be 15 with 2’ of snow on the ground, the altitude where we hunted would really mess with the weather.
    NE Ohio is fine for now but Nana wants to get a house in Murrells Inlet S.C. So we can spend more time with our 2 granddaughters down there, but we have 1 up here and another coming in February up here as well.
    So Papa needs to keep working for a little while, so Nana can commute back and forth for now
    Last edited by TJones; 12-24-2018 at 10:00 PM.

I spent 9 years in mid state Minnesota. Usually once a year you would have a period of two weeks that it would drop to -40 actual air temp, with a -50 wind chill. The last 5 years were spent working for a local county, working on heavy equipment. Nothing ever breaks when it's nice outside. At those temps, moldboards would crack, and air cleaners would pack with ice. The hydraulic shocks on the pick up would be stiff and crunch over every bump.

The altitude would be the biggest hurdle. I'm not near as young as I used to be, and cigars and Marlboros sure wouldn't help matters. In all actuality, it isn't so much about the geographic location or climate, but more the lack of people close by. I tend to like my neighbors a little more spread out.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-24-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Mike at Kaiser-Willys told me he would refund me for the plastic tank,straps,felt strips,sending unit,chrome cap and the body rubber if I sent it all back!!!
    Now that's customers service at it's finest!!!

Good deal. Mike is good to deal with. I haven't had to send anything back as of yet, but it's good to know that they take good care of us. Pelagro has said that he has good luck as well, except for the fuel tank well, but that probably came from a sub contractor.

They must sub a lot out, take a look at their place on google maps in Aiken SC it is pretty small for as much as they sell on Kaiser Willy’s.
    I started cutting out the fuel filler indent on the drivers side so I could fill it in and the tool box beings i won’t be able to use it once everything is together. The boys in the Philippens must practice weld on the tool box due to the inside you can’t see, after 5 cut off wheels she broke free WOW they must not of wanted it to come loose!!!!

Pelagro can add that the original Willy's workers must have been paid by the spot welds. There is no consistent manner that the spot welds were laid out. I know I burned out the guide pin on the spot weld cutter, but boy did it make life easier.

Just as a random thought, I wonder how hard it would be to make/modify a weather proof vault or box to put under the seat? Have the door drop down forward to the floor board. Just a thought.

Your fill in job looks really good!

I’m thinking of building a box to put between the seats and mounting it on top of the angles that the seats sit on, I have about 12-18”s between them and put a master kill switch in that box and have the box lockable and maybe mount the battery box under the passenger seat.
    I guess I’m not really sure what I’m going to do yet so maybe it’s time to sit on a bucket again and do some thinking over a beer and a Winston