Page 32 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

I'll second the one wise man. I'm more of a wise a##, at least that's what the long suffering Misses.

I told mine the story and she said the same thing about me GM, sometimes they don't know what they are talking about especially when it comes to Heep Stuff.......other than it keeps me out of the Beer Gardens

I am afraid to jump in this game! Two of the players are in the advanced group.

There's room at the top for another, but be careful. The advanced may be just a disguise for a special needs group.

Finally got me a bare block to get the tranny and transfer case mounted so I can see if the floor needs cut any to get my overdrive shifter in, then the tub goes out to get powder coated.
    All while my "Second Motor is getting built".........

IMG_0934.jpgIMG_0935.jpg

Interference Fit

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    Finally got me a bare block to get the tranny and transfer case mounted so I can see if the floor needs cut any to get my overdrive shifter in, then the tub goes out to get powder coated.

All while my "Second Motor is getting built"
    As usual I didn't read the text before I went to the pictures and as I looked at the picture from the passenger rear view, I wondered "Has he put an overdrive on the back of that transmission?". Then, when I read the writing - yep, that's an OD on there.

That linkage sits right in there really closely, so you may not have to do anything.

That junk bare block works about as well as the junk engine would have, and it won't get any worse than it is now.

Have you decided on any improvements for the new engine build or are you staying with the same basic motor but just done right this time?

I was thinking the same thing LarrBeard after measuring but I didn’t want to send it out and have it done then have to trim it up later after it was powder coated.
    As far as the motor, he sent it down to get it line bored, decked and bored the cylinders 30 thousandths. He’s changing the pistons to flat tops and putting a bigger cam in it, Not much change to the motor other than doing it right this time.

On a another note:
    I’m running 538’s in it now, a friend said the overdrive will change the 538’s to 373’s does anyone know if that’s correct or does anyone know the formula to the conversion?
    Seems like a big jump to me.
    It’s a Warn OD.
    Last edited by TJones; 09-20-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Overdrive Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    On a another note: I’m running 538’s in it now, a friend said the overdrive will change the 538’s to 373’s does anyone know if that’s correct or does anyone know the formula to the conversion? Seems like a big jump to me. It’s a Warn OD.
    I’m running 538’s in it now, a friend said the overdrive will change the 538’s to 373’s does anyone know if that’s correct or does anyone know the formula to the conversion? Seems like a big jump to me. It’s a Warn OD.

I looked at the description of the Warn OD in the KWAS catalog and it is described as a 25% Overdrive. The question is "What does that 25% mean?" If I go back to the '48 Mechanic's Manual and look in the overdrive section, the description of the Borg Warner OD is "When overdrive is used the engine speed is reduced about 30% at speeds over approximately 30 mph". (In this case 30 mph is where the electrical governor kicked in, but this would be when you shifted manually.

I would assume that the Warn OD, being a 25% OD, would give you a 25% reduction in RPM for a given road speed - or the engine will be running at 75% of its original rpm for a given pace down the road.

I'd multiply 5.38 x 0.75 to find the effective drive train ratio - and when I do that I come up with a number close to 4.035. Not the 3.73 your friend predicted, but still a significant gain. I would suspect that OD will be the predominant driving mode.

image1 (18).jpgimage3 (4).jpgimage2 (6).jpg

Taking the tub to get powder coated today, didn't have to cut as much as I thought out of the floor to get the OD shift lever in.

There are so many levers sticking through there it's starting to look like a backhoe... .